This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Fort-Shevchenko from the air
|Time zone||UTC+5 (+5)|
Fort Shevchenko (Kazakh: Форт-Шевченко, Fort-Shevchenko) is a military-base town and administrative centre of Tupkaragan District in Mangystau Region of Kazakhstan on the eastern shore of Caspian Sea. Primary industries include fishing and the extraction of stone. Population: 5,559 (2016 estimate).
The city was founded as a military stronghold by the Imperial Russian Navy. Until 1857 it was known as Novopetrovskoe (Новопетровское) and from 1857-1939 as Fort Aleksandrovskii (Форт-Александровский). It was named for Ukrainian poet Taras Shevchenko, who was assigned to military service here during his exile. Today the town is used by the Kazakhstan Navy as a base.
The coat of arms of Fort Alexandrovsky was approved October 22, 1908, along with other arms of the Transcaspian field: It is black and silver depicting the fortress and two fish.
Russian Civil War
There are several landmarks of significance; Shevchenko Memorial Museum, National History, and ethnographic museums. The Shevchenko Memorial Museum opened in 1932 near where he had been hiding. There are also some remnants of the fortress, a monument to Shevchenko and a state grave of Civil War heroes.
Media related to Fort-Shevchenko at Wikimedia Commons
|This Kazakhstan location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|