|Free-to-air channels digital TV recorders brand|
|Products||Digital TV recorder|
Freesat+ is a consumer brand introduced to raise consumer awareness and promote sales of Freesat-capable digital TV recorders, otherwise known as personal video recorders. Freesat+ affords users similar features that are available with competitor services such as Sky+ and Freeview+.
Freesat+ offers a PVR functionality for Freesat, which offers a greater choice of channels compared to Freeview, including a greater number of HD channels, without the subscriptions of Sky or Virgin Media. Freesat also offers higher rates of coverage than Freeview.
Freesat do not manufacture the units itself, but will award the Freesat+ label to manufacturers that are able to meet a series of specifications that have been drawn up by the UK’s Digital TV Group.
Using the specifications of the Humax FOXSAT HDR-PVR, typical Freesat+ recorders include:
- Live pause and instant rewind
- Watch one channel at the same time.
- Series recording – to automatically record the current channel.
- Schedule tracking – so that recordings start and finish on time, even when broadcasters change their schedules.
- Split recordings
- 8-day Electronic Programme Guide (NetVOD+).
- Solving a recording clash – if you select more than two programmes to record at one time, Freesat+ will search the 8-day TV Guide and suggest an alternative time to record one of them.
- Radio recording – catch your favourite radio shows by recording the individual shows, or even the series.
- High-definition television in the United Kingdom
- ETSI TS 102 323 V1.4.1 (2010-01), Chapter 11: "Accurate recording" and Annex A: "Example recorder behaviour"