Probable G-protein coupled receptor 158 is a protein that in humans is encoded by the GPR158 gene.
This protein is an orphan class C GPCR. It is highly expressed in the brain, where it binds to RGS7, an inhibitor of Gi/o-coupled GPCR signaling, localizing it to the plasma membrane.
It is expressed at lower levels in other organs and shows an unusual subcellular localization pattern, being found at both the plasma membrane and in the nucleus.
Role in mood regulation
GPR158 in the medial prefrontal cortex (mPFC) has been shown to regulate stress-induced depression in a mouse model of depression and has been found to be upregulated in post-mortem tissue samples from humans with major depressive disorder (MDD).
Role in prostate cancer
The GPR158 gene is an androgen-regulated gene that stimulates cell proliferation in prostate cancer cell lines, and it is linked to neuroendocrine differentiation.
- ^ a b c GRCh38: Ensembl release 89: ENSG00000151025 - Ensembl, May 2017
- ^ a b c GRCm38: Ensembl release 89: ENSMUSG00000045967 - Ensembl, May 2017
- ^ "Human PubMed Reference:".
- ^ "Mouse PubMed Reference:".
- ^ "Entrez Gene: GPR158 G protein-coupled receptor 158".
- ^ Orlandi C, Posokhova E, Masuho I, Ray TA, Hasan N, Gregg RG, Martemyanov KA (2012). "GPR158/179 regulate G protein signaling by controlling localization and activity of the RGS7 complexes". J. Cell Biol. 197 (6): 711–9. doi:10.1083/jcb.201202123. PMC 3373406. PMID 22689652.
- ^ Patel N, Itakura T, Gonzalez JM, Schwartz SG, Fini ME (2013). "GPR158, an orphan member of G protein-coupled receptor Family C: glucocorticoid-stimulated expression and novel nuclear role". PLoS ONE. 8 (2): e57843. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0057843. PMC 3581496. PMID 23451275.
- ^ Sutton L, Orlandi C, Song C, Oh WC, Muntean BS, Xie K, Filippini A, Xie X, Satterfield R, Yaeger JD, Renner KJ, Young Jr SM, Xu B, Kwon H, Martemyanov KA (2018). "Orphan receptor GPR158 controls stress-induced depression". eLife. doi:10.7554/eLife.33273.001.
- ^ Patel N, Itakura T, Jeong S, Liao CP, Roy-Burman P, Zandi E, Groshen S, Pinski J, Coetzee GA, Gross ME, Fini ME (2015). "Expression and functional role of orphan receptor GPR158 in prostate cancer growth and progression". PLoS ONE. 10 (2): e0117758. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0117758. PMC 4333349. PMID 25693195.