|Died||May 3, 2016 (aged 53)|
|Alma mater||Northwest University (China)|
China University of Geosciences (Wuhan)
Gao Shan (Chinese: 高山; pinyin: Gāo Shān; June 30, 1962 – May 3, 2016) was a Chinese geochemist and academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS). He was a professor of geochemistry at the China University of Geosciences (Wuhan).
Gao obtained a bachelor's degree of geology from Northwest University (China) in 1982. He was enrolled to China University of Geosciences (Wuhan) in 1985 when he obtained a master's degree. He received his PhD from China University of Geosciences in 1989. Following this, he was an Alexander von Humboldt Foundation post-doctoral scientist at the Geochemisches institute, University of Göttingen, before he returned to China to take up a faculty position at China University of Geosciences. His interests included chemical composition of the continental crust, chemical exchange between the crust and the mantle, and laser ablation ICP-MS and its applications to in-situ elemental and isotopic analysis of minerals. He published authoritative articles on the chemical composition of the continental crust  and contributed to unravelling the history of decratonization in the North China Craton.
Gao was elected as a member of the Chinese Academy of Sciences in December 2011. He was also a fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (2009), Geochemical Society (2014) and European Association of Geochemistry (2014).
Gao died in Wuhan on May 3, 2016.
- "热烈祝贺我系杰出校友高山教授当选中国科学院院士" (in Chinese). Northwest University (China). December 2011. Retrieved May 4, 2016.
- Gao et al., 1998, Chemical composition of the continental crust as revealed by studies in East China, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 62: 1959-1975
- Rudnick and Gao, 2014, Continental Crust, Treatise on Geochemistry, Elsevier
- Gao et al. 2004. Recycling lower continental crust in the North China craton. Nature, 432: 892-897
- Gao et al., 2008. Recycling deep cratonic lithosphere and generation of intraplate magmatism in the North China craton. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 270: 41-53
- "我省4学者入选中科院"新科"院士" (in Chinese). Changjiang Times. December 10, 2011. Retrieved May 4, 2016.
- Geochemical Fellows
- "中科院院士高山逝世" (in Chinese). Chinese Academy of Sciences. May 4, 2016. Archived from the original on May 11, 2016. Retrieved May 4, 2016.