The Gaoligong Mountains, (Chinese: 高黎贡山; pinyin: Gāolígòng Shān), are a mountainous sub-range of the southern Hengduan Mountain Range, located in the western Yunnan highlands and straddling the border of southwestern China and northern Myanmar (Burma).
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (June 2016)
The Gaoligong Mountains are located along the west bank of the Nujiang Valley; from Gongshan county down in to Dehong Prefecture, a distance of approximately 500 kilometres (310 mi). It is the drainage divide between the Nujiang (Salween River) and the Irrawaddy River. The main peak is Ga her (嘎普) peak, 5,128 metres (16,824 ft) above sea level.
The mountains contain part of the Nujiang Langcang Gorge alpine conifer and mixed forests ecoregion.
Gaoligong Mountain National Nature Reserve
The Gaoligong Mountain National Nature Reserve is made up of three distinct areas.
One part is found in the south-central part of the mountain range and covers an area of 120,000 hectares (300,000 acres). Around 9 kilometres (5.6 mi) wide, and reaches over approximately 135 kilometres (84 mi) from north to south — across parts of Lushui County, Baoshan City Prefecture and Tengchong County.
The highest peak within the reserve is Wona at 3,916 metres (12,848 ft) high .
- Conservation history
In 1983, the Gaoligong Mountain National Nature Reserve was established, and in 1992, the World Wildlife Fund, designated it a level A grade protected area. In 2000, UNESCO accepted it as a Biosphere Reserve member.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Minerals of Gaoligong Mts.|
- Gaoligongshania megalothyrsa
- Gaoligong pika
- Gaoligong forest hedgehog
- List of UNESCO Biosphere Reserves in China
- "Nujiang Langcang Gorge alpine conifer and mixed forests". Terrestrial Ecoregions. World Wildlife Fund.
- http://www.unep-wcmc.org/sites/wh/pdf/THREE%20RIVERS%20YUNNAN.pdf[permanent dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-12-04. Retrieved 2009-02-08.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Physical Geography of the Gaoligong Shan Area of Southwest China, in Relation to Biodiversity
- UNESCO - MAB Biosphere Reserves Directory
- Gaoligongshan Official Website
- The Nature Conservancy - Northern Gaoligong Mountain Range
- World Database on Protected Areas[permanent dead link]
|This Yunnan location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|