George Washington Jones (Texas politician)
George Washington Jones
|United States Congressman|
Texas 5th Congressional District
March 4, 1879 – March 3, 1883
|Preceded by||Dewitt Clinton Giddings|
|Succeeded by||James W. Throckmorton|
|10th Lieutenant Governor of Texas|
August 9, 1866 – August 8, 1867
|Governor||James W. Throckmorton|
|Preceded by||Fletcher Stockdale|
|Succeeded by||James W. Flanagan|
|Bastrop County Attorney|
|Born||September 5, 1828|
Marion County, Alabama
|Died||July 11, 1903 (aged 74)|
|Resting place||Fairview Cemetery|
|Political party||Greenback Democrat|
|Spouse(s)||Laura Ann Mullins|
|Branch/service|| Confederate States Army|
Robert T. Allen’s
Seventeenth Texas Infantry
George Washington Jones was born to William Dandridge Claiborne Jones and Rachel Burleson Jones on September 5, 1828 in Marion County, Alabama. He moved with his parents to Tipton County, Tennessee, and then to Bastrop, Texas. Jones studied law, was admitted to the bar in 1851, and commenced practice in Bastrop.
From 1858 until 1860 he served as Bastrop County Attorney.
He was a delegate to the Texas state constitutional convention in 1866. Jones was elected lieutenant governor in 1866, with James W. Throckmorton as governor. Both Jones and Throckmorton were removed from office in 1867 by General Philip Henry Sheridan for being obstructions to Reconstruction.
Personal life and death
On August 1, 1855, he married Ledora Ann Mullins in Bastrop.
Jones died on July 11, 1903. Ledora Jones died on August 31, 1903. They are both interred at Fairview Cemetery in Bastrop.
- George Washington Jones genealogy. LDS Compact Disc #10 Pin #122475: LDS Family Search.org.
- Guttery, Ben (2008). Representing Texas: a Comprehensive History of U.S. and Confederate Senators and Representatives from Texas. BookSurge Publishing. p. 89. ISBN 978-1-4196-7884-4.
- "The 17th Texas Volunteer Infantry Regiment". J.P. Blessington. Retrieved 2 July 2010.
- Cutrer, Thomas W: GW Jones from the Handbook of Texas Online. Retrieved 2 July 2010. Texas State Historical Association
- United States Congress. "George Washington Jones (id: J000223)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
| Lieutenant Governor of Texas
James W. Flanagan
|U.S. House of Representatives|
De Witt C. Giddings
| Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from Texas's 5th congressional district
James W. Throckmorton