|Other names||CIBA-31458-Ba; CIBA-31458; Norhydroxy-δ6-progesterone acetate; 6-Dehydro-17α-acetoxy-19-norprogesterone; 17α-Acetoxy-19-norpregn-4,6-diene-3,20-dione|
|Drug class||Progestogen; Progestogen ester|
|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||356.462 g/mol g·mol−1|
|3D model (JSmol)|
Gestadienol acetate (developmental code name CIBA-31458-Ba or CIBA-31458) an orally active progestin which was described in the literature in 1967 and was never marketed. It has no androgenic or estrogenic effects. The effects of gestadienol acetate on the endometrium and its general pharmacology were studied in a clinical trial in women. It has also been studied in a clinical trial for benign prostatic hyperplasia in men, but was ineffective.
Gestadienol acetate, also known as norhydroxy-δ6-progesterone acetate, 6-dehydro-17α-hydroxy-19-norprogesterone 17α-acetate, or 17α-hydroxy-19-norpregn-4,6-diene-3,20-dione 17α-acetate, is a synthetic norpregnane steroid and a derivative of progesterone. It is specifically a combined derivative of 17α-hydroxyprogesterone and 19-norprogesterone, or of gestronol (17α-hydroxy-19-norprogesterone), with an acetate ester at the C17α position and a double bond between the C6 and C7 positions. Gestadienol acetate is the C17α acetate ester of gestadienol. Analogues of gestadienol acetate include algestone acetophenide (dihydroxyprogesterone acetophenide), demegestone, gestonorone caproate (norhydroxyprogesterone caproate), hydroxyprogesterone acetate, hydroxyprogesterone caproate, nomegestrol acetate, norgestomet, and segesterone acetate (nestorone).
- Desaulles, P. A.; Krahenbuhl, C. (1967). "Biological Properties of a New Progesterone Analogue". European Journal of Endocrinology. 56 (1 Suppl): S143–S143. doi:10.1530/acta.0.056S143. ISSN 0804-4643.
- Gupta, A. (1967, January). Effect of the new progestogen, CIBA 31458 on the human endometrium. In Journal of Reproduction and Fertility (Vol. 14, No. 3, p. 530). 22 Newmarket Rd, Cambridge CB5 8DT, England: Journal of Reproduction and Fertility LTD. http://www.reproduction-online.org/content/14/3/523.full.pdf
- J. Elks (14 November 2014). The Dictionary of Drugs: Chemical Data: Chemical Data, Structures and Bibliographies. Springer. p. 659. ISBN 978-1-4757-2085-3.
- Petrow V (1970). "The contraceptive progestagens". Chem. Rev. 70 (6): 713–26. doi:10.1021/cr60268a004. PMID 4098492.
- Heusler K, Kalvoda J (1996). "Between basic and applied research: Ciba's involvement in steroids in the 1950s and 1960s". Steroids. 61 (8): 492–503. doi:10.1016/0039-128x(96)00040-2. PMID 8870170.
- Hald T, From A (1972). "Benign prostatic hypertrophy treated with a gestagen. A double-blind clinical trial with randomized allocation". Scand. J. Urol. Nephrol. 6: Suppl 15:157–6. PMID 4118753.
|This drug article relating to the genito-urinary system is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a steroid is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|