|Place of origin||Philippines|
|Region or state||Nueva Ecija, Pampanga|
|Main ingredients||winged beans, shrimp paste, labuyo chili, coconut milk, garlic, onions, ground meat or seafood|
Gising-gising, also known as ginataang sigarilyas, is a spicy Filipino vegetable soup or stew originating from the provinces of Nueva Ecija and Pampanga in the Philippines. It is traditionally made with chopped winged beans (sigarillas or sigarilyas), and coconut milk spiced with labuyo chili, garlic, onions, and bagoong alamang (shrimp paste). The name literally means "wake up, wake up". It can be eaten alone, on top of rice, or as a side dish to grilled meat dishes. It is a type of ginataan.
The basic ingredient of gising-gising is winged beans chopped finely or into diagonal 1 to 2 in (2.5 to 5.1 cm) strips. They are cooked in coconut milk with garlic, ginger, onions, bagoong alamang (shrimp paste), and siling haba and labuyo peppers. The dish also commonly includes ground meat (usually pork), ground shrimp, or shredded tinapa (smoked fish).
Winged beans can also be substituted with chopped yardlong beans or water spinach (kangkong). The dish can also be cooked with other seafood like squid and can include other vegetables and spices. The shrimp paste can also be replaced with commercial bouillon cubes or meat or seafood stock.
Gising-gising is very similar to the Bicolano dish Bicol Express in terms of ingredients, to the point that spicier versions of gising-gising are sometimes referred to as "Sigarilyas Express".
- Pascual, Marie. "#FoodMemories: Gising-gising". Rappler. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- Merano, Vanjo. "Gising gising Recipe (Green bean with Pork in Coconut milk)". Panlasang Pinoy. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "Ginataang Sigarilyas Recipe". Pinoy Recipe At Iba Pa. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "Ginataang Sigarilyas With Tinapang Bangus". The Peach Kitchen. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "Recipe: Ginataang Sigarilyas (Coconut Cream Winged Beans)". The Big Fat White Guy. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- Veneracion, Connie. "Sigarilyas at tinapang bangus sa gata (winged beans and smoked milkfish in coconut milk)". Casa Veneracion. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "Ginataang Sigarilyas with Dilis". Delish PH. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "Sigarilyas Gising Gising Recipe". Panlasang Pinoy. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "Gising-Gising". Rice And Dine. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "Gising Gising". Kawaling Pinoy. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "Gising-Gising Recipe". Atbp.ph. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "Ginataang Sigarilyas at Kalabasa". Kawaling Pinoy. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "Sigarilyas Express". Mama's Guide Recipes. Retrieved 21 April 2019.