Location of Goddard, Maryland
|• Total||2.4 sq mi (6.2 km2)|
|• Land||2.4 sq mi (6.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||180 ft (55 m)|
|• Density||2,330.9/sq mi (900.0/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1867292|
Goddard is an unincorporated community and former census-designated place (CDP) in Prince George's County, Maryland, United States. It was named after the physicist Robert H. Goddard. The population was 5,554 in the 2000 census. The area is no longer a census-designated place as of the 2010 census.
Goddard is located at (38.986389, −76.852932).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP had a total area of 2.4 square miles (6.2 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,554 people, 2,097 households, and 1,348 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 2,330.9 people per square mile (901.0/km²). There were 2,210 housing units at an average density of 927.5/sq mi (358.5/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 29.94% White, 53.31% African American, 0.41% Native American, 11.69% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 1.51% from other races, and 3.06% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.13% of the population.
There were 2,097 households out of which 32.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.3% were married couples living together, 18.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.7% were non-families. 26.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 3.18.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 23.2% under the age of 18, 9.9% from 18 to 24, 33.4% from 25 to 44, 24.4% from 45 to 64, and 9.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females, there were 84.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 80.5 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $57,482, and the median income for a family was $67,000. Males had a median income of $37,253 versus $36,170 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $25,710. About 1.7% of families and 4.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.5% of those under age 18 and 5.5% of those age 65 or over.
Government and infrastructure
Catherine T. Reed and Magnolia elementary schools serve sections of the former CDP.
The former CDP is divided between Thomas Johnson Middle School and Greenbelt Middle School.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Goddard, Maryland
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING (1790-2000)". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2010-07-30.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "CENSUS 2000 BLOCK MAP: GODDARD CDP." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on September 1, 2018. 1990 Census map of Prince George's County (index map) has Goddard CDP on Page 9.
- "Driving Directions to the Goddard Visitor Center." Goddard Space Flight Center. Retrieved on September 1, 2018. "8800 Greenbelt Road Greenbelt, MD 20771" - Driving Directions Map, Campus Map
- "NEIGHBORHOOD ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS AND BOUNDARIES SCHOOL YEAR 2018-2019." Prince George's County Public Schools. Retrieved on September 1, 2018.
- "NEIGHBORHOOD MIDDLE SCHOOLS AND BOUNDARIES SCHOOL YEAR 2018-2019." Prince George's County Public Schools. Retrieved on September 1, 2018.
- "NEIGHBORHOOD HIGH SCHOOLS AND BOUNDARIES SCHOOL YEAR 2018-2019." Prince George's County Public Schools. Retrieved on September 1, 2018.