Parts of this article (those related to demographics) need to be updated.September 2017)(
- This page is for the city in Texas. For the community in British Columbia, Canada, see Goodlow, British Columbia.
Location of Goodlow, Texas
|• Total||1.0 sq mi (2.7 km2)|
|• Land||1.0 sq mi (2.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||341 ft (104 m)|
|• Density||200/sq mi (74/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1388186|
|U.S. Decennial Census|
Goodlow is located at (32.116300, -96.220939).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2), all of it land.
According to the Texas State Historical Association, Goodlow "was established around 1900 on land belonging to Harry Goodlow. In the mid-1930s the primarily black community had two churches, two schools, and a number of houses. After World War II the Goodlow schools were consolidated with the Kerens schools, but the community continued to grow. Goodlow incorporated in 1978 after the city of Kerens refused to annex it."
At the 2000 census, there were 264 people, 99 households and 71 families residing in the city. The population density was 255.5 per square mile (99.0/km²). There were 117 housing units at an average density of 113.2/sq mi (43.9/km²). The racial makeup was 3.41% White, 95.08% African American, 1.52% from other races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.89% of the population.
There were 99 households of which 33.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 30.3% were married couples living together, 36.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.3% were non-families. 26.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.67 and the average family size was 3.17.
30.7% of the population were under the age of 18, 9.1% from 18 to 24, 21.2% from 25 to 44, 23.5% from 45 to 64, and 15.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females, there were 79.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 66.4 males.
The median household income was $14,531 and the median family income was $19,583. Males had a median income of $26,250 and females $12,750. The per capita income was $9,569. About 36.1% of families and 30.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 33.3% of those under the age of eighteen and 30.6% of those sixty five or over.
The City of Goodlow is served by the Kerens Independent School District.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.