Google Street View in South America
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
In South America, Google Street View is available in parts of Colombia, Brazil, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Ecuador, Bolivia and Uruguay. This article covers all of South America. For Central America and the Caribbean, see Google Street View in North America.
- 1 Background
- 2 Timeline of introductions
- 3 Areas included
- 4 Countries without any coverage
- 5 Competing products
- 6 References
In September 2010, the first cities from Brazil were added. The service started with 51 cities, most from São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte and greater metropolitan areas. Historic cities such as Ouro Preto, Diamantina and Tiradentes were also included. Google is expecting to cover 90% of Brazilian streets in two years.
In the initial release of Brazil's Street View, two dead bodies were found in the images. These were later removed.
Filming of Street View in Brazil began in April 2009.
Filming of Street View in Chile began in January 2012. On September 25, 2012, parts of Chile were added including Santiago, Valparaíso, Viña del Mar and Concepción. Many more cities and roads were released during 2013. In March 2015 the country counts with mostly full coverage.
On September 3, 2013, parts of Colombia were added. Some cities like Bogotá, Barranquilla, Montería, Cúcuta, Ibagué, Barrancabermeja, Caucasia, Valledupar, Yopal, Aguachica, Soledad, Villavicencio, Manizales, Zipaquirá, Floridablanca, Carmen de Bolívar, Fundación, Cartagena, Bucaramanga, Santa Marta, Santa Rosa de Cabal and more.
Some coverage became available on the Galapagos Islands on September 12, 2013, mostly from a boat. For the mainland Street view was released on November 12, 2015 in Quito, Guayaquil, Cuenca, Santo Domingo (limited), Machala, Durán, Portoviejo, Manta, Loja, Ambato, Esmeraldas, Quevedo, Riobamba, Milagro, Ibarra, La Libertad, Babahoyo, Sangolquí, Daule, Latacunga, Tulcán, Chone, Santa Rosa, Nueva Loja, Huaquillas, Santa Elena, Cayambe, Salinas, General Villamil Playas .
On August 14, 2013, Google Street View became available for six cities: Lima, Arequipa, Trujillo, Chiclayo, Iquitos and Piura. Later 2013 some long road stretches became available. The highest road in the world which is shown in Street View, is located at on 4,818 metres (15,807 ft) altitude.
On September 25, 2013, Google announced the arrival of the service to Argentina. On October 2 took place the official presentation of the Trikes in Congressional Plaza, Buenos Aires, the service was expected to be available by the end of the year in Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires Province, Cordoba, Rosario, Santa Fe, Entre Ríos, Mendoza and La Plata. As of September 25, 2014, Argentina was added to Street View.
On November 28, 2014, Google started filming in Santa Cruz de la Sierra but street view will be also available in La Paz, Cochabamba, Sucre and El Alto. For security reasons, Google decided not reveal how many cars will take photos. Additionally, Bolivian media are not allowed to interview their drivers. Images will be appear on street view some time in 2015.
Timeline of introductions
* Limited coverage.
This section needs to be updated.July 2015)(
|Chuquisaca||Padilla, Sucre, Tarabuco, Yotala|
|Cochabamba||Aiquile, Capinota, Cliza, Cochabamba, Irpa Irpa, Mizque, Punata, Quillacollo, Sacaba, Sipe Sipe, Tarata, Tiquipaya|
|La Paz||Calamarca, Copacabana, El Alto, Laja, La Paz, Palca, Patacamaya, Tiwanaku, Viacha|
|Potosí||Villa Imperial de Potosí|
|Santa Cruz||Camiri, Cotoca, La Guardia, Mineros, Montero, Portachuelo, Porongo, San José de Chiquitos, Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Santa Rita, Vallegrande, Warnes|
|mainland||Quito, Guayaquil, Cuenca, Santo Domingo (limited), Machala, Durán, Portoviejo, Manta, Loja, Ambato, Esmeraldas, Quevedo, Riobamba, Milagro, Ibarra, La Libertad, Babahoyo, Sangolquí, Daule, Latacunga, Tulcán, Chone, Santa Rosa, Nueva Loja, Huaquillas, Santa Elena, Cayambe, Salinas, General Villamil and major roads|
|Galapagos||mostly from a boat|
|Falkland Islands||Carcass Island, West Point Island, New Island|
|South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands||Grytviken, Right Whale Bay, Prion Island, Hercules Bay|
|Montevideo Metropolitan Cathedral, Solís Theatre, Auditorio Nacional Adela Reta in Montevideo, more in Montevideo, Salto, Ciudad de la Costa*, Paysandú, Las Piedras, Rivera, Maldonado, Tacuarembó, Melo, Mercedes, Artigas, Minas, San José de Mayo, Durazno, Barros Blancos, Ciudad del Plata*, San Carlos*, Colonia del Sacramento, Pando*, Treinta y Tres, Rocha, Fray Bentos, Trinidad, La Paz*, Canelones, Carmelo*, Santa Lucía, Progreso*, Paso de Carrasco, Río Branco, Paso de los Toros, Bella Unión, Libertad, Rosario*, Nueva Palmira, Chuy, Punta del Este, Piriápolis*, Salinas, Parque del Plata, Castillos, Sarandí del Yí*, San Ramón, Tarariras*, Pan de Azúcar*, Sauce, Sarandí Grande*, Atlántida, Cardona*, San Jacinto*, Toledo*, Vergara*, Santa Rosa*, Florencio Sánchez*, La Paloma, San Gregorio de Polanco, Colonia Valdense*, Cerrillos, and Migues*|
Countries without any coverage
All these countries have photo spheres, 360-degree panorama photos similar to the street view photos, accessible in Google Maps.
- Argentina: Two Argentine analogues also exist, one is called Mapplo, which is the first street view in Latin America. Fotocalle, another Argentine project, is the first street view in the world that provides HD pictures.
- Chile: Chilean company Publiguías released a service similar to Google's Street View in December 2010 called "Street Diving". It offers views of Providencia and Santiago communes, with plans to expand it to other communes in the future. XYGO launched a street view service in April 2011 partially covering seven cities.
- "ServiĂ§o Google Street View chega ao Brasil | Infosfera". Wp.clicrbs.com.br. September 28, 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-02.
- Gustavo Petró Do G1, em São Paulo. "G1 – Street View estreia na América do Sul com 51 cidades brasileiras – notícias em Tecnologia e Games". G1.globo.com. Retrieved 2010-10-02.
- "Google Street View Cameras Map The Amazon". SkyNewsHD. November 10, 2011. Retrieved May 29, 2012.
- "Google Street View snaps dead bodies in Brazil". The Press NZ. May 10, 2010. Retrieved May 29, 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "All ESO's Observatories Included in Google Street View". ESO Announcement. Retrieved June 11, 2014.
- "Google Lat Long: Introducing Imagery of Chile and Croatia on Google Maps". Google-latlong.blogspot.co.uk. September 26, 2012. Retrieved 2013-01-19.
- EL TIEMPO – Hoy se Lanza Google Street View en Colombia – http://www.eltiempo.com/tecnologia/internet/ARTICULO-WEB-NEW_NOTA_INTERIOR-13042963.html
- "Google Street View on Iquitos". Retrieved April 25, 2014.
- "Google Street View llega a la Argentina". lanacion.com.ar. September 25, 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Google Street View available in BA". buenosairesherald.com/. September 26, 2014. Retrieved 2014-10-26.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on December 13, 2014. Retrieved December 12, 2014.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Quatro museus brasileiros estreiam coleções no Google Street View; veja | Notícias". TechTudo. January 13, 2014. Retrieved 2014-02-28.
- "Google Street View". Google.com. Retrieved 2015-12-03.
- "Google Lat Long: Mapping Brazilian islands, above ground and under the sea". Google-latlong.blogspot.ro. 2015-03-17. Retrieved 2015-12-03.
- "Google Street View adds BA A318 tour". Business Traveller. 2015-09-28. Retrieved 2015-12-03.
- Jornal do Brasil. "Jornal do Brasil - Ciência e Tecnologia - Cemitério São João Batista é o primeiro da America Latina no Google Street View". Jb.com.br. Retrieved 2015-12-03.
- "Google adds parts of Bolivia and Ecuador to Street View". 9to5Google. 2015-11-16. Retrieved 2015-12-03.
- Guaifai. "Quito, Guayaquil, Cuenca y más ya son parte de Google Street View". El Comercio. Retrieved 2015-12-03.
- "Google Maps". Goo.gl. Retrieved 2015-12-03.
- "Ya se puede recorrer Uruguay en Google Street View | Noticias Uruguay y el Mundo actualizadas - Diario EL PAIS Uruguay". Elpais.com.uy. Retrieved 2015-12-03.
- 06.01 EST (1970-01-01). "Do Machu Picchu from your sofa, thanks to Google Street View | Travel". The Guardian. Retrieved 2015-12-03.
- O Diário de Teresópolis. Teresópolis no Google Street View
- "Buenos Aires Street view". Mapplo.com. Archived from the original on August 30, 2010. Retrieved August 27, 2010.
- "Mapplo: Primer street view de latinoamerica". Blogs.lanacion.com.ar. Archived from the original on May 24, 2010. Retrieved August 27, 2010.
- Paulita. "Fotocalle: Un Street View argentino con imágenes panorámicas de 50 megapíxels". Dotpod.com.ar. Retrieved August 27, 2010.
- "Publiguías a lo 'Street View': Inaugura sistema de mapas con imágenes reales – Publimetro". Publimetro.cl. Retrieved December 11, 2010.
- Lanzan en Chile nueva alternativa para ver mapas de ciudades con visión en 360°, EMOL, April 15, 2011.