At the MFCS 2005 conference
Gordon David Plotkinl
9 September 1946
|Alma mater||University of Glasgow (BSc)|
University of Edinburgh (PhD)
|Known for||Programming Computable Functions|
|Institutions||University of Edinburgh|
Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science
School of Informatics
University of Glasgow
|Thesis||Automatic methods of inductive inference (1972)|
Gordon David Plotkin, FRS FRSE MAE (born 9 September 1946) is a theoretical computer scientist in the School of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh. Plotkin is probably best known for his introduction of structural operational semantics (SOS) and his work on denotational semantics. In particular, his notes on A Structural Approach to Operational Semantics were very influential. He has contributed to many other areas of computer science.
Career and research
Plotkin has remained at Edinburgh, and was, with Burstall and Robin Milner, a co-founder of the Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science (LFCS). His former doctoral students include Luca Cardelli, Philippa Gardner, Doug Gurr, Eugenio Moggi, and Lǐ Wèi.
Awards and honours
Plotkin was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 1992, and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh (FRSE)[when?] and is a Member of the Academia Europæa. He is also a winner of the Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award. Plotkin received the Milner Award in 2012 for "his fundamental research into programming semantics with lasting impact on both the principles and design of programming languages." His nomination for the Royal Society reads:
|“||Plotkin has contributed to Artificial Intelligence, Logic, Linguistics and especially to Computer Science. In AI he worked on hypothesis-formation and universal unification; in Logic, on frameworks for arbitrary logics; in Linguistics, on formalising situation theory.
His main general contribution has been to establish a semantic framework for Computer Science, especially programming languages. Particular significant results are in the lambda-calculus (elementary models, definability, call-by-value), non-determinism (powerdomain theory), semantic formalisms (structured operational semantics, metalanguages), and categories of semantic domains (coherent, pro-finite, concrete). Further contributions concern the semantic paradigm of full abstraction, concurrency theory (event structures), programming logic and type theory.
- Anon (2013). Plotkin, Prof. Gordon David. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.U31011. (subscription or UK public library membership required) (subscription required)
- Gordon Plotkin at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Plotkin, Gordon David (1972). Automatic methods of inductive inference. ed.ac.uk (PhD thesis). University of Edinburgh. hdl:1842/6656. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.482992.
- Cardelli, Luca (1982). An algebraic approach to hardware description and verification. ed.ac.uk (PhD thesis). University of Edinburgh. hdl:1842/13308. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.253190.
- Gardner, Philippa (1992). Representing logics in type theory. ed.ac.uk (PhD thesis). University of Edinburgh. hdl:1842/14888. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.651333.
- Gurr, Douglas John (1990). Semantic frameworks for complexity. ed.ac.uk (PhD thesis). University of Edinburgh. hdl:1842/13968. OCLC 475827463. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.651894.
- Moggi, Eugenio (1999). The partial lambda calculus (PhD thesis). University of Edinburgh. hdl:1842/419.
- Wèi, Lǐ (1983). An operational approach to semantics and translation for programming languages (PhD thesis).
- Gordon Plotkin publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Gordon Plotkin author profile page at the ACM Digital Library
- Gordon Plotkin publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- Gordon D. Plotkin at DBLP Bibliography Server
- Mitchell, J. C.; Plotkin, G. D. (1988). "Abstract types have existential type". ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems. 10 (3): 470. doi:10.1145/44501.45065.
- Abadi, M. N.; Burrows, M.; Lampson, B.; Plotkin, G. (1993). "A calculus for access control in distributed systems" (PDF). ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems. 15 (4): 706. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.72.3756. doi:10.1145/155183.155225.
- "Symposium for Gordon Plotkin". www.lfcs.inf.ed.ac.uk.
- Plotkin, G. D. (1975). "Call-by-name, call-by-value and the λ-calculus". Theoretical Computer Science. 1 (2): 125–159. doi:10.1016/0304-3975(75)90017-1.
- Plotkin, G. D. (2004). "The origins of structural operational semantics". The Journal of Logic and Algebraic Programming. 60-61: 3–15. doi:10.1016/j.jlap.2004.03.009.
- A Structural Approach to Operational Semantics by G.D. Plotkin (1981)
- Program Verification and Semantics: Further Work Archived 26 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine (2004)
- Hoffmann, Ilire Hasani, Robert. "Academy of Europe: Plotkin Gordon". www.ae-info.org.
- "- Royal Society". royalsociety.org.
- "EC/1992/29: Plotkin, Gordon David". London: The Royal Society. Archived from the original on 16 April 2014.