Government Royapettah Hospital
|Government Royapettah Hospital|
|Government of Tamil Nadu|
|Location||Royapettah High Road, Royapettah, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Hospital type||Full-service medical center|
|Affiliated university||Directorate of Medical Education|
Government Royapettah Hospital is a major state-owned hospital situated in Royapettah in Chennai, India. The hospital with 712 beds is funded and managed by the state government of Tamil Nadu. It was founded in 1911 and is attached to Directorate of Medical Education. It is the city's largest peripheral hospital, and its limit extends up to Chengalpattu.
The Government Royapettah Hospital was opened in 1911. The cancer treatment centre at the hospital's annexure building was constructed for ₹ 170 million. The centre is the first exclusive government-run facility for cancer care in the state.
The hospital is the second in the government sector, after the Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital, to have a full-fledged emergency department, which includes triage area, resuscitation bay and colour-coded zones, per the Tamil Nadu Accident and Emergency Care Initiative (TAEI) guidelines.
In 2011, as part of its centenary celebration, the Central Government funded the hospital a sum of ₹ 43.5 million to construct two additional floors in its Accident and Trauma Block. There was also a proposal for setting up a "Zero Delay Ward". The state government funded ₹ 10 million on the new surgical block. The casualty ward is already under renovation.
- Healthcare in Chennai
- Government General Hospital
- Kilpauk Medical College
- Stanley Medical College
- Government Hospital of Thoracic Medicine
- Adyar Cancer Institute
- National Institute of Siddha
- "Government Royapettah Hospital". TNHealth.org. Archived from the original on 21 February 2013. Retrieved 28 April 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Rs 10cr for cancer unit at Royapettah hospital". The Times of India. Chennai: The Times Group. 17 August 2012. Retrieved 28 April 2013.
- "Rs. 4 crore for survey of heritage hospital buildings". The Hindu. Chennai: The Hindu. 30 April 2013. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- Josephine, M. Serena (28 April 2019). "Chennai's third full-fledged emergency dept. at KMC". The Hindu. Chennai: Kasturi & Sons. Retrieved 2 May 2019.
- Sujatha, R. (25 September 2011). "Royapettah Hospital to be upgraded". The Hindu. Chennai: The Hindu. Retrieved 28 April 2013.