Graeme Jameson at the Royal Society admissions day in London, July 2018
Graeme John Jameson
|Alma mater||University of New South Wales|
University of Cambridge (PhD)
|Known for||Jameson Cell|
|Institutions||University of Newcastle, Australia|
|Thesis||The behaviour of a bubble in a vertically oscillating liquid, and allied topics (1963)|
Graeme John Jameson AO FRS FAA FTSE (born 1936) is an engineer, professor and Director of the Centre for Multiphase Processes at the University of Newcastle, Australia, in New South Wales, Australia. He is notable for being the inventor of the Jameson Cell mineral separation device, which he devised in the 1980s. The Jameson Cell uses bubbles to separate super fine particles during mineral processing. It is based on the froth flotation mineral separation process, first invented in 1905.
In the coal industry alone, Jameson's cell has retrieved A$36 billion worth of export coal particles. It is being used worldwide in the separation of coal, copper, lead, nickel, platinum, silver and zinc.
Career and research
Jameson has been Professor of Chemical Engineering at the University of Newcastle since 1978.
Awards and honours
Jameson was appointed an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO) in 2005, and received the Antoine M. Gaudin Medal in 2013. In 2013 he was also NSW Scientist of the Year. In 2015 he won a Prime Minister's Prize for Science for his cell, and the Prime Minister's Prize for Innovation. In 2018 he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS), the oldest scientific academy in continuous existence with a fellowship of 1600 of the world's most eminent scientists.
- Graeme Jameson publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Sturmer, Jake (21 October 2015). "Engineer Graeme Jameson picks up Prime Minister's science prize for billion-dollar bubbles". Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC). Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- "A GOLD MINE OF INNOVATION". www.newcastle.edu.au. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- Particle processing with bubbles
- Jameson, Graeme John, AO, FAA, FTSE (1936-) Trove profile
- Jameson, Graeme John (1963). The behaviour of a bubble in a vertically oscillating liquid, and allied topics. jisc.ac.uk (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge. OCLC 885437848. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.605048.
- "2015 Prime Minister's Prize for Innovation – Professor Graeme Jameson" (Press release). Science in Public Pty Ltd. 21 October 2015. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- "Newcastle trailblazer wins prestigious global award". University of Newcastle Blog. 21 February 2013. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "NSW Science & Engineering Awards: 2008-2014". chiefscientist.nsw.gov.au. Office of the NSW Chief Scientist and Engineer. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- "Laureate Professor Graeme Jameson joins global list of most outstanding scientists". University of Newcastle Blog. 10 May 2018. Retrieved 22 May 2018.