This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
U.S. Grant Birthplace and Grant Commemorative Sites Historic District
Birthplace of Ulysses Grant
|Location||U.S. Route 52 and State Route 232 at Point Pleasant, Ohio|
|Area||4 acres (1.6 ha)|
|Architect||Goller, Harsh & Davies|
|NRHP reference #||98001013|
|Added to NRHP||August 6, 1998|
The Grant Birthplace in Point Pleasant, Monroe Township Clermont County Ohio was the birthplace of U.S. President Ulysses S. Grant, who was born there in 1822. The home was built in 1817, and in 1821 Jesse Root Grant wed Hannah Simpson Grant (Ulysses's parents) and they moved into the home where they paid $2 a month rent. The future president lived in Point Pleasant for less than a year, as his family moved to Georgetown one month before his first birthday.
The Ohio Historical Society operates the site as a historic house museum. Today it is furnished with items that once belonged to Grant, as well as a few period items. In 1998, the birthplace and several associated buildings were listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a historic district.
The Grant Birthplace and surrounding areas have been found to be a historical archaeological site. As part of making the site ADA-compliant, a small-scale construction project in the summer of 2010 involved the replacement of stone gutters at the site. Ohio State Historic Preservation Office staff archaeologists conducted a test excavation of some of the areas surrounding the gutters, discovering foundations of an 1810s tannery.
Previous archaeological work in and around the Grant Birthplace included the retrieval of early nineteenth-century pottery from a small midden being impacted by the replacement of a nearby bridge in 1984,:13 as well as a field survey of open areas in the birthplace grounds before the construction of a small building at the site in 2005; the latter project recovered only a couple of insignificant lithic flakes from an unidentified prehistoric period.:15
- Grant Boyhood Home, Georgetown, Ohio
- Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site, near St. Louis
- Ulysses S. Grant Home, Galena, Illinois
- Grant Cottage State Historic Site, Mt. McGregor, New York
- General Grant National Memorial (Grant's tomb)
- Monroe Township Web Page
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- Picone, Louis L. Where the Presidents Were Born: The History & Preservation of the Presidential Birthplaces (2012)
- Road Trip: Ulysses S. Grant's Birthplace Archived 2014-02-24 at the Wayback Machine, National Public Radio via WOSU, 2012-07-30. Accessed 2014-02-13.
- Limited Archaeological Testing within the U. S. Grant's Birthplace and Grant Commemorative Sites Historic District in Point Pleasant, Monroe Township, Clermont County, for the Proposed Repair and Replacement of Gutters and Sidewalk along SR 232 and Back Street (CLE-SR 232-0.01 PID 87711), Ohio Department of Transportation, 2011-11. Accessed 2014-02-13.