|Developer(s)||Andy Miller, Djamil Legato, Matias Griese|
|Initial release||30 July 2014|
|Type||Content management system|
Grav is a free, open-source and self-hosted content management system (CMS) based on the PHP programming language and Symfony web application framework. It uses a flat file database for both backend and frontend. Grav is more widely used, and growing at a faster rate, than other leading flat-file CMS competitors.
Grav is designed to have a shallow learning curve, and to be easy to set up.
The origins of Grav are to work with an open source platform that focused on speed and simplicity, rather than an abundance of built-in features that come at the expense of complexity. The name Grav is just a shortened version of the word Gravity.
Grav is the most starred PHP CMS on GitHub with over 11,000 stars.
Grav is a Fast, Simple, and Flexible file-based Web-platform. There is Zero installation required. Just extract the ZIP archive, and you are already up and running. Although Grav follows principles similar to other flat-file CMS platforms, it has a different design philosophy than most.
The underlying architecture of Grav is built using well established and best-in-class technologies. This is to ensure that Grav is simple to use and easy to extend.
Some of these key technologies include :
- Twig Templating: for powerful control of the user interface
- Markdown: for easy content creation
- YAML: for simple configuration
- Parsedown: for fast Markdown and Markdown Extra support
- Doctrine Cache: for performance
- Pimple Dependency Injection Container: for extensibility and maintainability
- Symfony Event Dispatcher: for plugin event handling
- Symfony Console: for CLI interface
- Gregwar Image Library: for dynamic image manipulation