Aerial photograph of area where Moyle Ballycronan More HVDC converter station is. It is situated left-up the power station
(Scotland & N. Ireland)
|From||Auchencrosh, South Ayrshire|
|To||Ballycronan More, County Antrim|
|Type of current||HVDC|
|Total length||63.5 km (39.5 mi)|
|Power rating||500 MW|
|DC voltage||250 kV|
|No. of poles||2|
The HVDC Moyle Interconnector is the 500 MW HVDC link between Auchencrosh, South Ayrshire in Scotland and Ballycronan More, County Antrim in Northern Ireland, which went into service in 2001. It is owned and operated by Mutual Energy.
Mutual Energy is a mutual company which manages the Moyle Interconnector (and some high pressure gas transmission assets including the Scotland - Northern Ireland Pipeline) for the benefit of Northern Ireland's energy consumers.
Work was completed in 2016 to replace the subsea sections of the LV return conductors with two new return cables. This was carried out by Nexans (Norway) with the aid of Morrows (N.I) and Romac Civil Engineering (N.I).
The HVDC Moyle Interconnector has a capacity of 500 MW. It consists of two coaxial 250 kV DC cables with integrated return conductors (IRC), each cable having a transmission capacity of 250 MW. The IRCs have failed through the events below, and their function restored by laying separate return conductors. The converter stations are equipped with light-triggered thyristors.
The converter station at Auchencrosh is connected via a 64 kilometres (40 mi) single-circuit 275 kV overhead three-phase AC line, which is installed on delta-type pylon, to Coylton substation, where the connection with the high voltage grid of Great Britain takes place. The connection to Northern Ireland is then made through dual 63.5-kilometre (39.5 mi) long monopolar cables, of which 55 kilometres (34 mi) are submarine cables. The Ballycronan More converter station is connected into the Northern Ireland grid through two 275 kV circuits.
In August 2011, the interconnector went out of service. Repairs were made and the cable became operational again with 450 MW in February 2012. However, further faults meant that a major part of the interconnector had to be taken out of service until it could be augmented with the additional return cables, completed in 2016. This restored capacity to the full 500 MW.
In February 2017, the cable suffered another fault, halving capacity to 250 MW. However full capacity was restored in September 2017, following repairs by Nexans.
Intraday capacity trading is not available, but is being discussed.
|Auchencrosh converter station|
|Cable enters sea|
|Cable leaves sea|
|Ballycronan More converter station|
- "HVDC – High Voltage Direct Current Power Transmission" (PDF). Siemens. p. 22.
- "Moyle Interconnector fault" (Press release). Mutual Energy. August 26, 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-12-19.
- "Update on Moyle cable faults repair" (Press release). Mutual Energy. October 18, 2011. Archived from the original on November 17, 2011.
- "Update on Moyle repair progress" (Press release). Mutual Energy. February 20, 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-03-05.
- "Decision on long-term repair of Moyle Interconnector cables". Mutual Energy. 13 May 2013. Archived from the original on 2013-08-08. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "Fault detected with Moyle interconnector". 4c Offshore. 21 February 2017. Retrieved 23 February 2017.
- "Charging for interconnector capacity allocated intra-day in SEM" (PDF). February 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-10-30.
- "The Moyle Interconnector: Interconnector Physical Flows (real time data)". Mutual Energy. Archived from the original on 2011-11-25.
- "The Moyle Interconnector". Mutual Energy. Archived from the original on 2011-11-17.
- "High Voltage Direct Current Transmission - Proven Technology for Power Exchange" (PDF). Siemens. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-10-30.
- Tech-wise Services. "Moyle Interconnector" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2005-02-18.
- "Map of Moyle Interconnector". System Operator for Northern Ireland (SONI). Archived from the original on 2012-04-15.
- "History and Development of the Moyle Interconnector". Mutual Energy. Archived from the original on 2011-11-17.