Habra Jessore Road traffic
|District||North 24 Parganas|
|• Body||Habra Municipality|
|• Municipality Chairman||Nilimesh Das|
|• MLA||Jyotipriyo Mullick, Minister of State, Food and distribution Govt. of WB|
|• Total||21.8 km2 (8.4 sq mi)|
|Elevation||13 m (43 ft)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Telephone code||+91 3216|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Barasat|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Habra|
Habra is a city and a municipality under Barasat sadar subdivision in North 24 Parganas district of the Indian state of West Bengal. Habra is situated on the Jessore Road between Kolkata and the Bangladesh border at Petrapole. Its location makes it an important town for export and import of goods between India and Bangladesh.
- 1 Geography
- 2 Demographics
- 3 Administration
- 4 Transport
- 5 Govt. Bus Routes
- 6 Private Bus Route
- 7 Education
- 8 Social
- 9 Economy
- 10 Entertainment
- 11 Bank / Financial Institutions
- 12 See also
- 13 References
Habra is located at  It has an average elevation of 13 metres (42 feet)..
As per the 2011 Census of India, Habra had a total population of 147,221, of which 74,592 (51%) were males and 72,629 (49%) were females. Population below 6 years was 11,696. The total number of literates in Habra was 121,952 (89.98% of the population over 6 years). 
As per the 2011 Census of India, Habra Urban Agglomeration had a total population of 304,584, of which 154,863 (51%) were males and 149,723 (49%) were females. Population below 6 years was 23,023. The total number of literates in Habra UA was 256,313 (91.03% of the population over 6 years).The constituents of Habra Urban Agglomeration were Habra (M), Ashoknagar Kalyangarh (M), Bara Bamonia (CT), Guma (CT), Anarbaria (CT) and Khorddabamonia (CT).
As of 2001 India census, Habra had a population of 127,695. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Habra has an average literacy rate of 79%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 83%, and female literacy is 74%. In Habra, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Habra I (community development block) is headquartered at Prafulla Nagar, Habra. Habra Telephone Exchange is also headquartered at Habra. Habra is one of the 100 selected cities in India which will be developed as a smart city within 2022 though this has been in question recently when Govt of India published an updated list and Habra did not appear in that apparently.
It is 45 km from Sealdah Station and 25 km from Barasat on the Sealdah-Bangaon branch line of Eastern Railway. It is part of the Kolkata Suburban Railway system. Habra, Gobardanga and Bangaon local connects this town to Sealdah Station and other stations of the Sealdah-Bangaon branch line. Habra Station Road is directly connected on NH 35 (Jessore Road). It is a major railway station between bangaon and barasat railway station.
Habra is situated on the Jessore Road between Kolkata and the Bangladesh border at Petrapole. Habra-Naihati road connects this town to Naihati. Habra is also connected to National Highway 34 (India) by Habra-Naihati road connecting this town to Krishnanagar, Kalyani and other towns and cities. Habra hosts an important depot of Habra Division of the West Bengal Transport Corporation. Buses of WBTC connects Habra to other towns and cities of West Bengal. Buses from Habra Bus Terminal are directly connected to Naihati, Maslandapur, Madhyamgram, Bangaon, Barasat, Nagarukhra, Kalyani, Basirhat, Kolkata, Bagdah, Chakdaha, Barrackpore, Bagjola, Digha, Durgapur, Bandel, krishnanagar, Barasat, Alampur, Dattaphulia, Nimta, Sodepur, Duttapukur, Jaguli, Baduria, Thakurnagar, Medinipur, Haldia, Tarapith etc.
Govt. Bus Routes
West Bengal Transport Corporation Bus Routes (WBTC)
ACT8 Habra—Digha (AC)
D27D Habra— Jadavpur 8B Bus Stand
E25 Habra—Esplanade(Via Nagarukhra/Jaguli)
South Bengal State Transport Corporation Bus Routes (SBSTC)
North Bengal State Transport Corporation Bus Routes (NBSTC)
- Habra-Coochbehar (Via Awalsiddhi Chowmatha, Krishnanagar, Baharampur, Malda, Gazole Town, Raiganj, Itahar, Dhupguri, Maynaguri, Jalpaiguri, Siliguri)
Private Bus Route
- DN12/1 Habra-Nazat
- DN21 Habra - Bagjola
- DN26 Habra-Barajaguli
- DN35 Nabatkati-Balti-Barasat(Simanta Express)
- MM5 Habra-Barrackpore Court
- MN6 Berigopalpur-Barasat
- 73 Habra-Naihati
Buses Without Number
- Habra-Shyambazar(R.G KAR)
- Boyra-Karunamoyee (Via Salt Lake)
Special Bus Service
There are so many Schools, Colleges and Engineering Institutes in Habra.
Schools of Govt. of India
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya (Banipur)
State Govt. School
- Habra High School (H.S)
- Habra High School for Girls (H.S),
- Habra Kamini Kumar Girls' High School (H.S)
- Habra Model High School (H.S),
- Banipur Baniniketan High school (H.S)
- Banipur Baniniketan Girls’ High school (H.S)
- Banipur S.W. Home School
- Dakshwin Habra High School (H.S)
- Hatthuba Adarsha Bidyapith (H.S)
- Kalibala Kanya Vidhyapith(H.S)
- Joygachi Adarsha Valika Vidyalaya
- Joygachi Shayamaprasad High School (H.S)
- KAMARTHUBA NIVEDITA BALIKA VIDYALAYA(H.S.)
- Kamarthuba Vivekananda Vidyapith (H.S),
- Prafullanagar Vidya Mandir (H.S)
- Prafullanagar Balika Vidyalaya (H.S)
- Purbanchal High School
- Saptapalli Deshbandhu Balika Vidyalaya
- Sisu Vidyamandir High School(H.S.)
- Sreema Vidyamandir
- Govt. Basic cum Multipurpose School
- K.M.R Institution
- Atulia Netaji Adarsha Vidyapith High School
- Janaphul High school(H.S.)
Saktigarh A.D.P. Siksha Niketan
- Akrampur High School(H.S.)
- Sreenagar High School
CISCE affiliated schools
- Stratford Day School
- St. Stephens School
- Banipur Janata College
- Banipur Mahila Mahavidyalaya
- Gandhi Centenary B.T College
- Sree Chaitanya College
- Sree Chaitanya Mahavidyalaya,(Shree Chaitanya College of Commerce)
- Techno India, Banipur
- Govt. College of Education (Banipur)
- Habra Bio-Chemic Medical College & Hospital
- Post Graduate Physical Training College
Joint coaching Institutes
- All India Joint Entrance Examination Coaching(AIJEEC)
- Pathfinder Coaching Center
- Asha Computer Academy
- Banipur Home (Orphans House)
- Banipur Youth Computer Training Centre
- B.K.Kar Paramadical Institution
- Dr. B. R. Ambedkar Sports School
- Habra Youth Computer center
- Industrial Training Institute Banipur
- Junior Basic Training College
- Skynet Systems
- Srijan Graphics
- Juba Skills Academy
- Learn Computer Academy
Banipur Loka Utsav is held at Banipur, Habra starting on 1st Sunday of February every year, for 8 days. It acquired approx. 18 to 20 bighas of land. After the Poush Mela of Shantiniketan, Habra Banipur Lok Utsav is the largest fair of West Bengal.
This section does not cite any sources. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Habra Bazar is one of the largest hubs for business and one of the local goods supplier to Kolkata. Habra Bazar supplies Rice, Green vegetables, Milk, Fish, Chicken, Garments, Jewellery, Jute to Kolkata and other parts of India. Export and import businesses (mainly with Bangladesh) are also noteworthy. Habra Bazar is one of the largest business hub (Bazar) in West Bengal .
Multiple Cinema Halls are present here...
- Rupkatha Cinema Hall
- Kalika Cinema Hall
Bank / Financial Institutions
There are several banks and non banking financial institutions present at Habra.
- Syndicate Bank
- Indian Overseas Bank
- IDBI Bank
- Andhra Bank
- Bandhan Bank
- Bank of Baroda
- Canara Bank
- UCO Bank
- Axis Bank
- Indian Bank
- Bank of India
- Central Bank of India
- HDFC Bank
- ICICI Bank
- State Bank of India
- Allahabad Bank
- Punjab National Bank
- Union Bank of India
- United Bank of India
- Life Insurance Corporation of India
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank
- Habra I CD Block
- Habra II CD Block
- Map of Habra I CD Block on Page 289 of District Census Handbook. It also shows the location of Habra.
- Official District Administration site Archived 2007-01-15 at the Wayback Machine
- District-wise list of statutory towns Archived 2011-07-21 at the Wayback Machine
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Habra
- "2011 Census – Primary Census Abstract Data Tables". West Bengal – District-wise. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- "Urban Agglomeration/ Cities having population above 1 lakh" (PDF). Provisional Population Totals, Census of India, 2011. Government of India. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Constituents of Urban Agglomeration having population of 1 lakh and bove" (PDF). Provisional Population Totals, Census of India, 2011. Government of India. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.
- "North 24 Parganas Dist. Police". Know Your Police Station. District Police. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- Eastern Railway time table
- "District Census Handbook North Twenty Four Parganas, Census of India 2011, Series 20, Part XII A" (PDF). Page 289 -Map of Habra I CD Block. Directorate of Census Operations, West Bengal. Retrieved 1 June 2018.