Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure
|Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure|
|Islands of Adventure|
|Park section||The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade|
|Soft opening date||June 11, 2019|
|Opening date||June 13, 2019|
|Type||Steel – Launched|
|Model||Motorbike roller coaster|
|Lift/launch system||Linear motor|
|Drop||17 ft (5.2 m)|
|Length||5,053 ft (1,540 m)|
|Speed||50 mph (80 km/h)|
|Max vertical angle||70°|
|Height restriction||48 in (122 cm)|
|Trains||Single trains with 7 cars. Riders are arranged 2 across in a single row for a total of 14 riders per train.|
|Queue hosts||Rubeus Hagrid|
|Ride host||Rubeus Hagrid|
Universal Virtual Queue available
Universal Express available
Single rider line available
Must transfer from wheelchair
|Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure at RCDB|
Pictures of Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure at RCDB
Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure is a steel roller coaster manufactured by Intamin, at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando’s Islands of Adventure theme park, opened on June 13, 2019. Universal described the roller coaster as "a highly-themed roller coaster that will take us into a different corner of the wizarding world, where guests will encounter some of their favorite characters and creatures.” The attraction replaced the Dragon Challenge roller coasters, which closed on September 4, 2017.
Construction for Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure began early January 2018, after land clearing was completed on the site that Dragon Challenge occupied. According to Alan Gilmore, art director of the Potter films and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, over a thousand trees were planted to create the woodland that would set the theme of the Forbidden Forest. Ride testing began as of February 26, 2019.
The grand opening ceremony took place on June 11, 2019 with Evanna Lynch, Warwick Davis, Tom Felton, Rupert Grint and James and Oliver Phelps in attendance. Robbie Coltrane, who portrayed Rubeus Hagrid, was not in attendance; however, he recorded video messages for the occasion.
The attraction takes Muggles on a journey through the Forbidden Forest, coming face to face with magical creatures of the Wizarding World on Rubeus Hagrid's motorcycle. Riders travel up to 50 mph as they encounter Fluffy the three-headed dog, Cornish pixies, Devil's Snare, a Centaur and a Blast-Ended Skrewt, a creature that was never featured in any of the Harry Potter films.
The attraction's vehicle is modeled after Hagrid's motorcycle, which appeared in the first and seventh films. There are seven rows on each train. Each row seats two passengers, one on the motorcycle itself and one in the sidecar.
With seven launches, the ride includes more launches than any other roller coaster in the world. It is the second coaster in the United States to feature a free-fall vertical drop at nearly 17 feet, and the longest roller coaster in Florida, measuring nearly a mile in length (5,053 ft). The track also features a "spike" that catapults guests 65 feet into the air at a more than 70-degree angle, followed by a backwards drop in one movement. The roller coaster is Universal Orlando's third attraction to employ a Virtual Line system, the first one at Islands of Adventure and the first Universal coaster to feature the virtual queue system.
- Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts, a Harry Potter roller coaster located at sister theme park Universal Studios Florida.
- Tron Lightcycle Power Run, a motorbike roller coaster at Shanghai Disneyland Park and under construction at Magic Kingdom.
- Christiansen, Kathleen (February 21, 2019). "Universal Orlando Resort names new Harry Potter attraction". Orlando Sentinel. Tribune Publishing. Retrieved February 21, 2019.
- Whitten, Sarah (June 13, 2019). "10-hour wait: New $300 million Harry Potter coaster opens at Universal in Orlando to massive crowds". CNBC. Retrieved June 17, 2019.
- "Dragon Challenge closing for a new Harry Potter ride". Orlando Informer. July 24, 2017. Retrieved October 2, 2018.
- John (July 24, 2017). "Dragon Challenge Closing at Islands of Adventure". Coaster101. Retrieved October 2, 2018.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (July 25, 2017). "Dragon Challenge is Closing Forever at Universal. Here's What is Replacing It". Theme Park Tourist. Retrieved October 2, 2018.
- Marden, Duane. "Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure - Universal Studios Islands of Adventure (Orlando, Florida, USA)". Roller Coaster DataBase. Retrieved March 14, 2019.
- Bilbao, Richard (August 29, 2017). "Universal begins work on Harry Potter rides, holiday show". Orlando Business Journal. American City Business Journals. Retrieved March 14, 2019.
- "New Details Revealed for Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure". Universal Orlando. March 12, 2019. Retrieved March 14, 2019.
- "Exclusive Testing Footage: Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure". Midway Mayhem. February 26, 2019. Retrieved March 13, 2019 – via Twitter.
- Baumgaertner, Melissa (February 21, 2019). "Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure, An All-New Expierence In The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter, Opens June 13". Universal Orlando. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- "Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure is coming to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter". Pottermore. February 21, 2019. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- "Join Hagrid™ and Fly into the Forbidden Forest". Universal Orlando. Retrieved March 12, 2019.
- Kubersky, Seth (February 21, 2019). "Universal Orlando announces 'Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure' will open June 13". Orlando Weekly. Euclid Media Group. Retrieved March 14, 2019.
- Fitch, Hailey (May 20, 2019). "7 Thrilling Details About Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure". Univesal Orlando Up Close. Universal Orlando. Retrieved May 20, 2019.
- Rivas Español, Raisa (June 10, 2019). ""Tips" si vas al estreno de la nueva montaña rusa de Harry Potter". El Nuevo Día (in Spanish). Grupo Ferré Rangel. Retrieved June 10, 2019.