Hales Franciscan High School
|Hales Franciscan High School|
4930 S. Cottage Grove Avenue
|Type||Private secondary Catholic|
|Motto||In Virum Perfectum|
((Unto perfect manhood))
|Oversight||Archdiocese of Chicago|
|Enrollment||110 (2015)|
|Student to teacher ratio||16:1|
|Athletics conference||Chicago Catholic League|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
Hales Franciscan High School (known simply as Hales) is a private 4-year Roman Catholic high school located in the Bronzeville neighborhood on the south side of Chicago, Illinois, United States. It is part of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago.
Since its founding, Hales Franciscan High School has celebrated African-American heritage and endeavored to instill cultural pride. Today, the school continues to be the only historically African-American, all-male, Catholic college preparatory high school in the state of Illinois and one of three such institutions in the nation. The school is a non-profit, independent high school, fully accredited by the North Central Association and certified by the Illinois State Board of Education. In the 2013-14 school year, the school became coed, but returned to an all-male student body for the 2015-2016 school year. On July 27, 2016, the school announced that the 2016-2017 academic school year would be suspended, due to low enrollment and financial struggles.
- Jack Ryan (2000–03) - politician. Ryan left the school to run for the open US senate seat in the 2004 election. After winning the Republican primary, his campaign was derailed when court files detailing incidents relating to his sex life with ex-wife Jeri Ryan were unsealed. The election was won by Barack Obama.
- Tim King – founder and CEO of Urban Prep Academies. After completing his law degree, King was named President of Hales Franciscan High School in Chicago. During King's five-year tenure as President of Hales, 100% of the schools's graduates were admitted to college. While at Hales, King appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show in an interview in which Oprah characterized him as an "angel".
- Julius Carry III - 1970, actor
- Rich Gardner - 1999, NFL cornerback
- JaVale McGee - 2006
- Jerome Randle - 2006
- James Capers - 1979, NBA referee
- Londen "DJ L" Buckner - 2010, Hip Hop Music Producer, (Early Graduate)
- Brent R. Hamlet - 2006, Writer, Educator, Speaker, Organizer
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on June 20, 2010. Retrieved 2009-07-28.
- HFHS. "Identity and History". Retrieved 2007-05-11.
- "Hales Franciscan High School welcomes girl students for first time". ABC Chicago. 2013-08-19. Retrieved 2019-07-18.
- "Hales Franciscan High School suspends school year". Hyde Park Herald. 2016-08-03. Retrieved 2019-07-18.
- John S. Jackson (August 2006). "The Making of a Senator: Barack Obama". Paul Simon Public Policy Institute. Retrieved 2014-05-20.
|This Illinois school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a building or structure in Chicago is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|