Hartford Female Seminary
Hartford Female Seminary, from an 1896 diploma
Hartford Female Seminary in Hartford, Connecticut was established in 1823, by Catharine Beecher, making it one of the first major educational institutions for women in the United States. By 1826 it had enrolled nearly 100 students. It implemented then-radical programs such as physical education courses for women. Beecher sought the aid of Mary Lyon in the development of the seminary. The Hartford Female Seminary closed towards the later half of the 19th century.
The school was first hosted in a third-floor room in a building at Main and Kinsley Streets in Hartford, then in the basement of the North Church. In 1827 the school moved into a new neoclassical building at 100 Pratt Street (Coordinates: ).
- Rose Terry Cooke
- Fanny Fern
- Annie Trumbull Slosson
- Virginia Thrall Smith
- Harriet Beecher Stowe
- Sarah Woodruff Walker
- The Beecher House Archived 2012-07-07 at Archive.today Mansfield University, 2007.
- Catherine Beecher City University of New York
- Carini, P.Catharine E. Beecher material , 1822-1878 Mt. Holyoke College, 1998.
- Hedrick, Joan D. (1995). Harriet Beecher Stowe: a life. p. 50.
- Warren, Joyce W. (January 1994). Fanny Fern: An Independent Woman. Rutgers UP. pp. 26ff. ISBN 978-0-8135-1764-3. Retrieved 21 January 2012.
|This article about a university or college in Connecticut is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|