Health and Physical Education Arena (H&PE Arena) is an 8,100-seat multi-purpose arena in Houston, Texas on the campus of Texas Southern University.
It was designed by Houston architect Willie C. Jordan Jr. and built in 1989 and is home to the Texas Southern University Tigers basketball and volleyball teams. The arena played host to Houston Cougars men's basketball games during the 2017–18 season, as well as all Houston Cougars women's basketball home games in the same season, due to renovations of their arena, and hosted both teams for the first month of the 2018–19 season due to construction delays to the Cougars' home arena. Originally, the plan was to play most of the Cougars' men's conference games as well as a non-conference game against Arkansas at Toyota Center, with the remainder of the games at TSU. However, all of the games were eventually scheduled for H&PE Arena. H&PE Arena had previously hosted Houston's first-round game against Akron in the 2017 National Invitation Tournament due to the renovations at UH. The arena also hosted home games during the 2018 JBA season for the Houston Ballers of the Junior Basketball Association.
- ^ Editors, of ESPN. ESPN College Basketball Encyclopedia: [The Complete History of the Men's Game]. New York, NY: Ballantine Books. p. 215. ISBN 9780345513922. Retrieved May 20, 2017.
- ^ "Coach Mike Davis Is Playing It Forward at TSU". houstoniamag.com. 10 March 2017. Retrieved May 20, 2017.
- ^ "Cougars Announce 2017–18 Non-Con Schedule" (Press release). Houston Cougars. August 17, 2017. Retrieved August 31, 2017.
- ^ Duarte, Joseph (March 4, 2018). "UH will begin next season at H&PE Arena while Fertitta Center is being finished". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved June 9, 2018.
- ^ UH plans to play 2017–18 home basketball games at Toyota Center, TSU Houston Chronicle
- ^ 2017-18 Houston Cougars Men's Basketball Schedule
- ^ "Akron to play Houston in NIT First Round". mac-sports.com. 11 November 2016. Retrieved May 20, 2017.
- ^ Cougars Ready to Go in NIT First Round uhcougars.com
Coordinates: 29°43′22″N 95°21′55″W / 29.72278°N 95.36528°W