Saint Mary the Virgin parish church
Cottages in Hedgerley
|Area||6.8 km2 (2.6 sq mi)|
|Population||873 (2011 census including Jordans)|
|• Density||128/km2 (330/sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||SL2 SL1|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
Hedgerley is a village and civil parish in South Bucks district in Buckinghamshire, England. The parish is centred 3 miles (4.8 km) south-east of Beaconsfield and 2.5 miles (4.0 km) south-west of Gerrards Cross. The parish has incorporated the formerly separate parish of Hedgerley Dean since 1934 (which was once a hamlet in parish of Farnham Royal).
Architecture and geography
Situated in the foothills of the Chiltern Hills, Hedgerley is a linear layout of red-brick and timber-framed cottages, amongst which Victoria Cottages date from the 16th century. It is bounded to the north by the M40 motorway. The Church of England parish church of Saint Mary the Virgin was designed by the Gothic Revival architect Benjamin Ferrey and built in 1852. The Tudor Revival Rectory was built in 1846.
In film, fiction and the media
|Output area||Homes owned outright||Owned with a loan||Socially rented||Privately rented||Other||km² roads||km² water||km² domestic gardens||km² domestic buildings||km² non-domestic buildings||Usual residents||km²|
The village's most notable resident was the infamous Judge Jeffreys (1645–89).
A few fields in the parish are called the sea fields as in spring they become full with bluebells.
- Key Statistics: Dwellings; Quick Statistics: Population Density; Physical Environment: Land Use Survey 2005
- A Vision of Britain through Time: Relationships / unit history of Hedgerley Archived 2007-09-30 at the Wayback Machine
- Oxford Dictionary of Place Names[clarification needed]
- Pevsner, 1973, page 160
- Pevsner, Nikolaus (1973) . The Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. p. 160. ISBN 0-14-071019-1.
Media related to Hedgerley at Wikimedia Commons