Hemnagar, North 24 Parganas
|District||North 24 Parganas|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Basirhat|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Hingalganj|
Hemnagar is a village in Hingalganj CD Block in Basirhat subdivision of North 24 Parganas district in the state of West Bengal, India. It is the southern-most habitation in North 24 Parganas district, beyond which the Sunderbans are spread.
Hemnagar police station has jurisdiction over Hingalganj CD Block (partly). It has a riverine border of 15 km, all of which is unfenced.
- See also - Chhota Mollakhali for a similar police station in South 24 Parganas district
As per the 2011 Census of India, Hemnagar had a total population of 3,960, of which 2,029 (51%) were males and 1,931 (49%) were females. Population below 6 years was 367. The total number of literates in Hemnagar was 2,844 (79.15% of the population over 6 years).
This is what a two-wheeler rider wrote after a visit to the area in 2014: “From Hingalganj to Lebukhali, it's a 14 km butter-smooth road. Except for a few shanties or a few village markets you are surrounded by lush green paddy or mustard (during winter) fields. Lebukhali is the last place till where bus services are available. After that you have to take another ferry to go to Hemnagar.” Beyond Hemnagar, the Sundarbans start.
The 684 m long bridge across the Katakhali at Hasnabad was opened to public in March 2019, linking Hingalganj with Hasnabad. Lebukhali, the last point up to which motorised transport can reach is now directly connected to Kolkata and other places.
Hemnagar High School is a Bengali-medium coeducational institution, established in 1957. It has facilities for teaching from class VI to X.
- "North 24 Parganas Dist. Police". Know Your Police Station. District Police. Retrieved 12 May 2018.
- "Bengals coastal surveillance plan in deep waters". The Indian Express, 30 April 2010. Retrieved 12 May 2018.
- "Bengal to have 8 new coastal police stations". i government, 12 December 2013. Retrieved 12 May 2018.
- "C.D. Block Wise Primary Census Abstract Data(PCA)". West Bengal – District-wise CD Blocks. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- "My ride to Hemnagar, Sundarbans, where the forest meet the rivers". XBHP. Retrieved 12 May 2018.
- "সেতু উদ্বোধনের দিন গুনছে মানুষ" [People counting days left for inauguration of bridge] (in Bengali). Ananda Bazar Patrika. 14 February 2019. Retrieved 12 March 2019.
- "Hemnagar High School". EduGorilla. Retrieved 30 November 2019.