Henry Ellis Daniels FRS (2 October 1912 – 16 April 2000) was a British statistician. He was President of the Royal Statistical Society (1974–1975), and was awarded its Guy Medal in Gold in 1984, following a Silver medal in 1947. He became a Fellow of the Royal Society of London in 1980. The Parry-Daniels map is named after him (together with the English mathematician Bill Parry).
Daniels' family was Jewish, of Russian (partly Polish and partly Lithuanian) origin. He was educated at George Heriot's School. He subsequently graduated from the University of Edinburgh (M.A. Hons. 1933, Ph.D. 1943) and went on to further study at Clare College, Cambridge (B.A. 1935). In 1957, he became the first Professor of Mathematical Statistics at the University of Birmingham. He stayed at the university till his retirement in 1978. After retirement, he went to Cambridge and lived there until his death.
Selected publications by Daniels
- Daniels, H. E. (1954). "Saddlepoint Approximations in Statistics" (PDF). The Annals of Mathematical Statistics. 25 (4): 631. doi:10.1214/aoms/1177728652.
- Daniels, H. E. (1975). "Statistics in Universities--A Personal View". Journal of the Royal Statistical Society. 138 (1): 1–17. doi:10.2307/2345246.
- Cox, D. (2003). "Henry Ellis Daniels. 2 October 1912 - 16 April 2000". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 49: 133. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2003.0008.
- "Obituaries: Henry Daniels, Edwin J. Redfern". Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series D. 50 (2): 213–215. 2001. doi:10.1111/1467-9884.00273.
- Whittle, P. (1993). "A Conversation with Henry Daniels". Statistical Science. 8 (3): 342–353. doi:10.1214/ss/1177010911.
- Henry Daniels at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography". 2004. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/74126. Cite journal requires
- "DANIELS, Prof. Henry Ellis". Who Was Who. ukwhoswho.com. 2018 (online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. (subscription or UK public library membership required) (subscription required)
- Whittle, Peter (4 May 2000). "Obituary: Henry Daniels". The Guardian. Retrieved 24 September 2013.
|This article about a statistician from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|