Intraoperative view of complete biliary atresia.
A hepatoportoenterostomy or Kasai portoenterostomy is a surgical treatment performed on infants with Type IVb choledochal cyst and biliary atresia to allow for bile drainage. In these infants, the bile is not able to drain normally from the small bile ducts within the liver into the larger bile ducts that connect to the gall bladder and small intestine.
The surgery involves exposing the porta hepatis (the area of the liver from which bile should drain) by radical excision of all bile duct tissue up to the liver capsule and attaching a Roux-en-Y loop of jejunum to the exposed liver capsule above the bifurcation of the portal vein creating a portoenterostomy. The rationale for this approach is that minute residual bile duct remnants may be present in the fibrous tissue of the porta hepatis and thus provide direct connection with the intrahepatic ductule system to allow bile drainage.
Prognosis of this condition/procedure comprises the following:
- If performed before 60 days of age, 80% of children achieve some bile drainage
- Prognosis is progressively worse the later surgery is done
- Post-operatively, cholangitis and malabsorption are common
- Many children with biliary atresia will require liver transplantation despite the attempted surgical repair, although on occasion, it can be delayed until adulthood.
- Bailey & Love's Short Practice of Surgery. Boca Raton, Florida: CRC Press. 2013. p. 1105. ISBN 9781444121278.
- Behrman et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Company, 2000.
- Ryoji Ohi (2009). "Morio Kasai, MD 1922-2008". Journal of Pediatric Surgery. Elsevier Inc. 44 (3): 481–482. doi:10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2009.01.001.
- <http://www.chp.edu › ... › Educational Resources › Liver Transplant Patient Procedures
- de:Kasai Morio
- "Hepatoportoenterostomy - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics". www.sciencedirect.com. Retrieved 2019-03-24.
- Segura-Sampedro JJ; C. Bernal-Bellido; L.M. Marín-Gómez; G. Suárez-Artacho; J. Serrano-Díez-Canedo; J.M. Álamo-Martínez; F.J. Padillo-Ruiz; M.Á. Gómez-Bravo (Nov 2015). "Outcomes of Liver Transplantation During Adulthood After Kasai Portoenterostomy Due to Biliary Atresia". Transplant Proc. 47 (9): 2643–2644. doi:10.1016/j.transproceed.2015.09.058.
|This surgery article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|