Hey Now Hey (The Other Side of the Sky)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Hey Now Hey (The Other Side of the Sky)|
|Studio album by|
|Released||June 25, 1973|
|Recorded||April 1972 – August 1972|
|Studio||Record Plant, Los Angeles, California.|
|Genre||Deep soul, Southern soul, soul, R&B|
|Label||Atlantic (#7265), Rhino|
|Producer||Quincy Jones, Aretha Franklin|
|Aretha Franklin chronology|
|Christgau's Record Guide||B–|
Hey Now Hey (The Other Side of the Sky) is the nineteenth studio album by American singer-songwriter Aretha Franklin. Released on June 25, 1973 by Atlantic Records, It was the first Atlantic album by Aretha to miss the Top 25 of the album chart. (It peaked at #30.) This album was originally planned to be a straight jazz album with songs like "Moody's Mood" and "Just Right Tonight", but producers Franklin and Quincy Jones took a detour and produced songs like "Mister Spain" and the title cut.
Notable songs include the No. 1 R&B and top 20 pop single "Angel" written by Aretha's younger sister, Carolyn Franklin, as well as a cover of "Somewhere" which features Franklin on piano and Phil Woods on alto saxophone. This recording was reissued on compact disc through Rhino Records in the 1990s. The song "Master of Eyes" was included as the tenth track on the reissue. Even though it was a single, it was not included on the first release.
- "Hey Now Hey (The Other Side of the Sky)" (Aretha Franklin) - 4:41
- "Somewhere" (Leonard Bernstein, Stephen Sondheim) - 6:14
- "So Swell When You're Well" (James Booker, Aretha Franklin) - 4:14
- "Angel" (Carolyn Franklin, Sonny Sanders) - 4:26
- "Sister from Texas" (Aretha Franklin) - 3:08
- "Mister Spain" (Carolyn Plummer) - 6:41
- "That's The Way I Feel About Cha" (Bobby Womack, Jim Grisby, Joe Hicks) - 7:10
- "Moody's Mood" (James Moody, Jimmy McHugh, Dorothy Fields) - 2:55
- "Just Right Tonight" (Aretha Franklin, Avery Parrish, Buddy Feyne, Quincy Jones, Robert Bruce) - 7:42'
CD reissue bonus track
- "Master of Eyes (The Deepness of Your Eyes)" (Aretha Franklin, Bernice Hart) - 3:25
- Aretha Franklin – lead vocals, acoustic piano solo (2, 3)
- Spooner Oldham – keyboards
- Billy Preston – acoustic piano solo (9)
- Jimmy Johnson – guitar
- Tommy Cogbill – bass guitar
- Jerry Jemmott – bass guitar
- Roger Hawkins – drums
- Richie Pratt – drums
- Phil Woods – alto saxophone (2)
- Joe Farrell – tenor sax solo (4), flute solo (6)
- Willie Bridges – saxophone
- Charles Chalmers – saxophone
- Andrew Love – saxophone
- Floyd Newman – saxophone
- Wayne Jackson – trumpet
- Producers – Quincy Jones and Aretha Franklin
- Recording Engineer – Phil Schier
- Remixing – Gene Paul (Track 1); Quincy Jones and Phil Schier (Tracks 2-9).
- Track 1 remixed at Record Plant; Tracks 2-9 remixed at Atlantic Studios (New York, NY).
- Mastered at Artisan Sound Recorders (Hollywood, CA).
- Album Design – Ken Cunningham, Jim Dunn and Aretha Franklin.
- Cover Illustration – Jim Dunn