St Oswald's Church, Hinstock
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Post town||MARKET DRAYTON|
|Dialling code||01952 550/551|
|EU Parliament||West Midlands|
It appeared in the Domesday book survey as "Stoche" (from Old English stoc, "dependent settlement"); the present version of its name was created in the mediaeval period by prefixing Middle English hine ("domestic servants").
Hinstock is approximately halfway between the market towns of Newport and Market Drayton. The A41 road, which until the 1980s ran through its centre, now bypasses the village. Hinstock is at the junction of the A529 road joining to Nantwich to the A41. A Roman road still exists in part as a road and as a footpath through Hinstock. The settlement of High Heath is to the north of the village alongside the A41 and to the west of Hinstock (at grid reference ) and forming part of the civil parish is the hamlet of Pixley.
Hinstock's facilities include a primary school; a village shop and post office; St Oswald's Church of England parish church; a pub named the Falcon Inn; a village hall; a Methodist chapel; two tennis courts; a football pitch; a five a side court; a cricket pitch; a small snooker hall and a running club.
From 1941 to 1947 there was a co-located Royal Air Force and Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm training station called HMS Godwit, which specialised in instrument and blind landing technologies. A Royal Navy officer and seaman from the base are buried in Hinstock Church's burial ground.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Retrieved 21 November 2015.
- Gelling and Foxall, The Place-names of Shropshire, Part 5 English Place-Name Society, 2006, p.137
- "Ellerton, John (ELRN845J)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- Francis, Peter (2013). Shropshire War Memorials, Sites of Remembrance. YouCaxton Publications. p. 154. ISBN 978-1-909644-11-3.
-  CWGC Cemetery report, details from casualty record.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hinstock.|