Holy Cross Cemetery Line
The Holy Cross Cemetery Line was a public transit line in Brooklyn, New York City, United States, running as a short branch of the Nostrand Avenue Line east to Holy Cross Cemetery on Tilden Avenue. Originally a streetcar line, it was replaced by a bus route, which is no longer operated.
The original line ran along Empire Boulevard and Clove Road (now mostly gone) from Nostrand Avenue southeast to the cemetery. It was the third railroad in Clove Road, after the Brooklyn and Canarsie Railroad (1866-1868) and Kings County Central Railroad (1878 only). The New Williamsburgh and Flatbush Railroad opened the line prior to August 1, 1889, when it was leased to the Brooklyn City Rail Road. The line was moved onto Tilden Avenue, as a branch of the new electric Nostrand Avenue Line, on July 15, 1895, and the old line was abandoned. Buses were substituted for streetcars on April 1, 1951.
- Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Leasing Lines, July 13, 1889, page 4
- Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Lines Leased, July 29, 1889, page 4
- Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Five Car Lines, October 31, 1889, page 8
- Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Nostrand Avenue Railroad, October 9, 1894, page 1
- Brooklyn Daily Eagle, Suburban News, June 26, 1895, page 4
- Brooklyn Daily Eagle, To Flatbush for Two Fares, July 15, 1895, page 4
- Brooklyn Daily Eagle, The Clove Road in Bad Shape, May 26, 1896, page 3