St Michael and All Angels Church, Hopton Wafers
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||West Midlands|
Hopton Wafers is a small village and civil parish in south Shropshire, England. The population of the public parish at the 2011 census was 753. It is located on the A4117 road to the west of the market town of Cleobury Mortimer.
Its unusual-sounding name is derived from Old English hop (a side valley running off a larger valley, originally from a Celtic word) and tun (farm or settlement), along with the name of Robert de Wafre, an early holder of the manor.
A post-medieval glassworks was located in Hopton Wafers which produced glass in the 17th and 18th centuries.
The village church, St Michael and All Angels, was built in 1825: a Norman church had previously stood on the site, but had become dilapidated. The works were funded by Thomas Botfield, who had purchased the manor in 1812.
The county's last remaining emergency escape lane (a sand trap for vehicles unable to brake) was removed in 2014 after being deemed both obsolete and potentially dangerous; it was located at the foot of Hopton Bank (on the A4117).
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Retrieved 27 November 2015.
- Gelling and Foxall, The place-names of Shropshire, Volume 1, English Place-Name Society, 1990, p.159
- "Shropshire's History Advanced Search | Shropshire's History Advanced Search". search.shropshirehistory.org.uk. Retrieved 10 April 2017.
- Cleobury Benefice Hopton Wafers
- "The Crown Inn at Hopton Wafers DY14 0NB". crownathopton.co.uk. Retrieved 10 April 2017.
- Shropshire Star Shropshire motorists put faith in brakes as escape lane reaches end of road (21 May 2014)
-  There is a small family farm owned by the Auger family located in Hopton Wafers outputting fresh fruit to the surrounding area.
- Worcestershire bus info 2L route
Media related to Hopton Wafers at Wikimedia Commons