Houston Texas Temple
|Houston Texas Temple|
|Dedicated||August 26, 2000 by |
Gordon B. Hinckley
|Site||11 acres (4.5 hectares)|
|Floor area||33,970 sq ft (3,156 m2)|
|Height||159 ft (48 m)|
|Preceded by||Caracas Venezuela Temple|
|Followed by||Birmingham Alabama Temple|
|Official website • News & images|
After the September 1997 announcement that the LDS Church would build a temple in Houston, the search began for an appropriate site. The site chosen formerly belonged to a developer unwilling to sell. Years earlier, however, the developer had gone through difficult financial times and had made a promise to God that if God would help him avoid financial ruin, he would someday "pay God back". When the developer learned what was proposed to be built on his land, he decided to sell the land as his way of paying God back.
LDS Church president Gordon B. Hinckley dedicated the Houston Texas Temple on August 26, 2000. The temple has a total of 33,970 square feet (3,156 m2), two ordinance rooms, and two sealing rooms. The temple serves over forty-four thousand Latter-day Saints in the southern half of Texas, and is one of four LDS temples in the state of Texas.
In 2017, Hurricane Harvey caused significant flood damage. As a result, although the temple had not been in use since August, the church formally announced its closure for renovations in October 2017. Following completion of the renovations, the temple was rededicated by M. Russell Ballard on April 22, 2018.
- William R. Bradford, former temple president
- Comparison of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by geographic region
- Temple architecture (Latter-day Saints)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Texas
- Nielsen, Wendy; Rasmussen, Harriet (June 20, 1998), "Land owner remembers promise made to the Lord", Church News
- "HOUSTON TEXAS: 'How glorious and complete is Thy plan'", Church News, September 2, 2000
- "Facts and figures: Houston Texas Temple", Church News, September 2, 2000
- Curtis, Larry D. "LDS temple suffers 'significant' damage as members help with Harvey recovery". Sinclair Broadcast Group. KUTV.
- "Harvey Update: Houston Texas Temple Temporarily Closed", Newsroom, LDS Church, October 25, 2017
- "Houston Texas Temple Reopens After Rededication", Newsroom, LDS Church, April 22, 2018
- Holmes, Cecile S. (March 10, 1997), "Mormons plan to build Houston-area temple", Houston Chronicle, p. A-33
- Nielsen, Wendy; Rasmussen, Harriet (June 20, 1998), "Ground broken for temple in Houston", Church News
- Leon and Becky Rowley (July 11, 1998), "On the bright side", Church News
- "Angel Moroni statues placed atop 2 temples", Church News, June 26, 1999
- "Houston Texas Temple dedication dates announced", Church News, June 17, 2000
- Swensen, Jason (September 2, 2000), "Elegant temple is dedicated in Houston", Church News
- Swensen, Jason; Weaver, Sarah Jane (June 16, 2001), "Clean up after tropical storm floods Houston", Church News