Humber Arm South
Town of Humber Arm South
Humber Arm South
|Province||Newfoundland and Labrador|
|• Type||Town Council|
|• Mayor||Glenn Savard|
|• MLA||Eddie Joyce|
|• MP||Gudie Hutchings|
|Time zone||UTC-3:30 (Newfoundland Time)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-2:30 (Newfoundland Daylight)|
Humber Arm South is a town in the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador. The town had a population of 1,854 in the Canada 2006 Census. The Town's Post Office is located in the section of the town referred to as Benoit's Cove. Humber Arm South is located in the Bay of Islands, and is in the Bay of Islands electoral district.
The Town of Humber Arm South consists of people who resettled from Wood's Island, Newfoundland and Labrador and several former communities in the area. Some of those communities still exist within the incorporated municipality, which includes:
- Frenchman's Cove is subsection of the town and a formerly independent, unincorporated town. It had a population of 166 in the Canada 2006 Census. The area has been inhabited since before 1836, the earliest known documentation about it, when it appeared in the first Newfoundland Census. According to local folklore and tradition, the first settlers were named Cluetts and were of French origin. The small-boat inshore fishery was the economic mainstay of the area until the late 1800s when did men went work on the schooners operating from Grand Bank. Residents also grew turnips, cabbages, and potatoes, as well as hay for their horses, cattle, sheep, and chickens.
- Benoit's Cove: a postal and fishing outlet and a formerly independent, unincorporated town. This area of the town has been inhabited since 1911. The Way Office was established in 1887. The first waymaster was James Evitt. It had a population of 76 in 1911 and 295 in 1956.
- Halfway Point: a small settlement which had its first family living within it as early as 1864. Mail service closed in 1966 and it had a population of 146 in 1956.