I'm Not Gonna Miss You
|"I'm Not Gonna Miss You"|
|Song by Glen Campbell and The Wrecking Crew|
|from the album Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me soundtrack|
|Released||September 30, 2014|
|Recorded||January, 2013 Sunset Sound|
"I'm Not Gonna Miss You" is a song recorded by American country music artist Glen Campbell and The Wrecking Crew. Co-written by Campbell and producer Julian Raymond, the song was released on September 30, 2014 for the soundtrack to the documentary Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me, which focuses on the singer's diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease and his final tour.
"I'm Not Gonna Miss You" is the last song to be recorded by Campbell. The song was nominated for Best Original Song at the 87th Academy Awards. During the ceremony, the song was performed by Tim McGraw. It also won Grammy Award for Best Country Song.
"I'm Not Gonna Miss You" was initiated by Julian Raymond who pitched an idea of recording the song to James Keach, director of Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me, who eventually decided to use the footage of the recording session as one of the final scenes in the documentary. Raymond discussed the inspiration behind the song:
|“||[Campbell] had a hard day of people asking him about Alzheimer's and how he felt about it. He didn't talk too much about it, but came up to me and said, 'I don't know what everybody's worried about. It's not like I'm going to miss anyone, anyway.' [...] The song by design is simple. I knew we couldn't do something like "Wichita Lineman" that had complicated key changes or bigger-range stuff.||”|
The song was recorded over four takes within one day. The song also features the members of The Wrecking Crew, the musicians that Campbell has collaborated with before. It was recorded in January 2013 in Los Angeles, and is part of the soundtrack for Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me which premiered on October 24, 2014.
|2015||87th Academy Awards||Best Original Song||Nominated|||
|2015||57th Annual Grammy Awards||Best Country Song||Won|||
|2015||Best Song Written for Visual Media||Nominated|||
|2015||19th Satellite Awards||Best Original Song||Nominated|||
- "I'm Not Gonna Miss You – Glen Campbell,Wrecking Crew". AllMusic. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- Ayers, Mike (19 February 2015). "Oscars 2015: The Story Behind Glen Campbell's 'I'm Not Gonna Miss You'". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- Betts, Stephen L. (8 September 2014). "Glen Campbell's Final Song to Be Released This Month". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- Whitaker, Sterling (22 January 2015). "Tim McGraw Pays Touching Tribute to Glen Campbell at 2015 OscarsRead More: Tim McGraw Pays Tribute to Glen Campbell at 2015 Oscars". Taste of Country. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- Shetler, Scott (8 February 2015). "Glen Campbell's 'I'm Not Gonna Miss You' Wins 2015 Grammy Award for Best Country Song". The Boot. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- Brandle, Lars (13 October 2014). "Glen Campbell Releases His Final Song 'I'm Not Gonna Miss You': Watch". Billboard. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- Kreps, Daniel (12 October 2014). "Glen Campbell Shares Poignant Last Music Video 'I'm Not Gonna Miss You'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- Pond, Steve (16 February 2015). "Satellite Awards: Complete Winners List". TheWrap. Retrieved 9 January 2017.