Ian Macpherson, 3rd Baron Strathcarron
Ian David Patrick Macpherson, 3rd Baron Strathcarron (born 31 March 1949 in London, England) is a British peer, Baron Strathcarron of Banchor and inherited the title on the death of his father David William Anthony Blyth Macpherson, 2nd Baron Strathcarron on 31 August 2006.
Lord Strathcarron married the former Gillian Rosamund Allison (born: 15 September 1946) in 1974 and they have two children, the Honourable Sophie Ananda Macpherson (born: 14 April 1978) and the Honourable Rory David Alisdair Macpherson (born: 15 April 1982).
Lord Strathcarron spent ten years in the Orient working for Time-Life as a freelance journalist and copywriter. In 1970, he founded the Japan Europa Press Agency in Tokyo and sold it in 2006.
He became a partner in Strathcarron & Company in 1974, and a founder and Director of Global Alliance Automotive Ltd, a transnational version of Strathcarron & Company in 1993. In 1995, he founded Strathcarron Sports Cars plc, manufacturers of sports/racing cars and since 2006 he has been a trustee and director of the National Motor Museum in Beaulieu, Hampshire.
He is Chairman and Commissioning Editor of Unicorn Publishing Group LLP, a cultural and military history publishing company, Chairman of Sophie Macpherson Ltd, a fine arts recruitment and consultancy company, and Chairman of Play Associates Ltd., an interior design company, and a director of Art World Alliance Ltd., a grouping of UK art industry companies. In 2018, he founded the transmedia production company Affable Media Ltd.
Lord Strathcarron is a student of Advaita Vedanta and has written of his experiences in non-duality in the books Living with Life and Mysticism and Bliss. He is also the author of two spy thriller novels for Troubador: Invisibility, and Black Beach.
In 2009, he recreated Lord Byron's 1809–1811 Grand Tour of the Mediterranean for the book Joy Unconfined! Lord Byron's Grand Tour Re-Toured published by Signal Books, an imprint of Christopher Hurst.
In 2010, he completed the first part of a Mark Twain travel trilogy based on Twain's 1867 tour of the Holy Land, resulting in the book Innocence & War: Mark Twain's Holy Land Revisited published in 2012 in the US by Dover Publications and in the UK by Signal Books. The second part of the trilogy, recreating Mark Twain's 1896 lecture tour of India for the book The Indian Equator; Mark Twain's India Revisited published in 2014 in the US by Dover Publications and in the UK by Signal Books. The final part of the trilogy, Heart of Lightness, Mark Twain's Mississippi Revisited, will be about Mark Twain's final steamboat journey up the Mississippi River from New Orleans to Hannibal, Missouri and his subsequent short career in the American Civil War.
In 2017, Unicorn Press published his art book about the painter Sophie Walbeoffe, Painting with Both Hands.
In 2018, Affable Media published his fictional biography, Crikey! How Did That Happen? The Refreshingly Unauthorised Biography of Sir Bertram Wooster, KG.
In 2019, Affable Media produced his video, Confessions of a Publisher: It Doesn't Have To Be Like This, But Somehow It Just Is.
Interests and hobbies
An ex-Yachtmaster Instructor, Lord Strathcarron is an Honorary Life Member of the Royal Bombay Yacht Club, a member of the Royal Cruising Club and the Royal Yacht Squadron.[circular reference]
In 2012, he qualified as a civil and commercial mediator with the Civil Mediation Council. In 2013, he qualified as a Restorative Justice practitioner, registered with the Restorative Justice Council. He is also the vice-chair and a trustee of The Society of Mediators.
- "HEREDITARY PEERAGE ASSOCIATION". www.hereditarypeers.com. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- Byam Shaw, Ros (April 2018). "Made for the Job". House and Garden: 115–122.
- "SUPPORTING INTERNATIONAL SUPPLIERS TO THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY – Automotive Supplier Support and Lead Generation". Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- (GAA), GLOBAL ALLIANCE AUTOMOTIVE Ltd. "Global Alliance Automotive". www.ga-automotive.com. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- Strathcarron SC-5A - Car News at Car and Driver
- http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/ShowCharity/RegisterOfCharities/ContactAndTrustees.aspx?RegisteredCharityNumber=1107656&SubsidiaryNumber=0&TID=2381164 Director and Trustee
- "Companies House WebCHeck". Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- https://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/9cf050e827d144a0b84a606fab92cfb0/docdwnld[permanent dead link]
- https://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/50733901baa95d574a8ba8f798833a2c/docdwnld[permanent dead link]
- "Companies House WebCHeck". Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- Ian Strathcarron (23 August 2012). "Smashwords – Living with Life – a book by Ian Strathcarron". Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- "Ian Macpherson 3rd Baron Strathcarron - Isle of Wight Literary Festival". Retrieved 13 November 2018.
- "Signal Books | Joy Unconfined!". www.signalbooks.co.uk. Retrieved 13 November 2018.
- "Client List". Dystel & Goderich Literary Management. Archived from the original on 27 January 2016. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- "Signal Books | The Indian Equator". www.signalbooks.co.uk. Retrieved 13 November 2018.
- http://www.ehaus.co.uk/, Ehaus Web Design and Development, London. "unicornpress:". www.unicornpress.org. Retrieved 16 October 2016.
- ISBN 978-1-78926-295-7
- "Confessions of a Publisher - YouTube". 5 May 2019.
- "Royal Cruising Club". Retrieved 8 May 2019.
- "List of Royal Yacht Squadron Members - Wikipedia". 1 February 2019.
- "Directory of CMS Members". Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- "The Panel of Mediators - Society of Mediators". Retrieved 8 May 2019.
- Ian Strathcarron
- Hereditary Peerage Association
- Grenoble University,
- Strathcarron & Company,
- Global Alliance Automotive Ltd,
- Sophie Macpherson Ltd
- RYA Training
- Blog: Bryon's Grand Tour, Retoured
- Charity Commission
- Troubador Publishing
- School of Economic Science
- Rory Macpherson Studio
- Civil Mediation Council
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
| Baron Strathcarron
Hon. Rory Macpherson