Il Sole 24 Ore
Front page, 20 April 2010
|Founded||9 November 1965|
History and profile
Il Sole 24 Ore was first published on 9 November 1965 as a merger between Il Sole ("the sun"), founded in 1865, and 24 Ore ("24 hours"), founded in 1933. The latter was established by young economists, including Ferdinando di Fenizio, Libero Lenti and Roberto Tremelloni, on 15 February 1933. The owner of Il Sole 24 Ore is Confindustria.
Il Sole 24 Ore has its headquarters in Milan and is published in broadsheet format. The paper reports on business, politics, developments in commercial and labour law, corporate news and features. Extensive share and financial product listings are provided in its daily supplement, Finanza e Mercati.
Weekly supplements include:
- Domenica (Sunday): art, literature, philosophy, theater, cinema, book reviews, and related news;
- Plus24 (Saturday): family savings, market analysis, real estate market news, and other private investment topics;
- Nòva 24 (Sunday): science and technology.
Irregular supplements are also produced with a focus on a specific issue such as a particular business sector.
The circulation of the paper was 520,000 copies in 2000 and 414,000 copies in 2001. In 2004 the paper had a circulation of 373,723 copies, making it the fourth best-selling newspaper in Italy. Its circulation was 334,076 copies in 2008. The print + digital circulation in 2017 was equal to 177,000 average copies. In the course of 2017, Il Sole 24 Ore has risen again in the ranking of national newspapers with the highest diffusion from fourth to third place. (Source Budget 2017)
The information integrated system
The printed newspaper is presented as part of an integrated information system which includes:
- Radio 24: a news/talks fm/online radio channel;
- Il Sole 24 Ore Radiocor: business and financial news agency;
- 24 Minuti: a defunct free daily newspaper;
- ilsole24ore.com: the online newspaper;
- 24ore.tv: a defunct financial all-news TV channel.
Il Sole 24 ORE is published by 24 Ore Group. In the field of services tailored to professionals and businesses, the Group enjoys a solid competitive market position thanks to its databanks, online services and training programs. Listed on the Italian Stock Exchange since 6 December 2007, the 24 ORE Group has also carved itself a unique place in the organization of exhibitions and cultural events through 24 ORE Cultura, one of the most prominent players on the market.
- Robert G. Picard, ed. (2002). Media Firms: Structures, Operations, and Performance. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. p. 60. Retrieved 26 December 2014. – via Questia (subscription required)
- "Communicating Europe: Italy Manual" (PDF). European Stability Initiative. 19 May 2008. Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- "About Us". 24 Ore Group. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- Peter Humphreys (1996). Mass Media and Media Policy in Western Europe. Manchester University Press. p. 90. ISBN 9780719031977. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- Alessandro Carretta; et al. (2011). "The Impact of Corporate Governance Press News on Stock Market Returns". European Financial Management. 17 (1): 100–119. doi:10.1111/j.1468-036X.2010.00548.x.
- Carlos Dora (2006). Health Hazards and Public Debate: Lessons for Risk Communication from the BSE/CJD Saga. World Health Organization. p. 134. ISBN 978-92-890-1070-2. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- Adam Smith (15 November 2002). "Europe's Top Papers". campaign. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- Jose L. Alvarez; Carmelo Mazza; Jordi Mur (October 1999). "The management publishing industry in Europe" (PDF). University of Navarra. Archived from the original (Occasional Paper No:99/4) on 30 June 2010. Retrieved 27 April 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Financial Newspapers" (PDF). SFN Flash. 7 (1). 7 January 2004. Retrieved 17 February 2015.
- "European Publishing Monitor. Italy" (PDF). Turku School of Economics and KEA. Retrieved 5 April 2015.
- Data for average newspaper circulation. Survey on 2008 in Italy Archived 22 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine Accertamenti Diffusione Stampa.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Il Sole 24 Ore.|