|Literal meaning||"Green Island"|
Ilha Verde, also known by its Cantonese name Cing-zau and Mandarin name Qingzhou, is an area in the northwest of Macau Peninsula, Macau that forms part of the Our Lady Fatima Parish. It was an island—known in English as Verde or Green Island—to the west of the Macau Isthmus. It was settled by Jesuits.
Verde Island was connected to the Macau Peninsula in 1895 when a causeway (now Avenida do Conselheiro Borja) was built. Since then reclamation projects around the island took place and now it is annexed to be a part of Macau Peninsula.
Colina da Ilha Verde is a hill comprising much of Ilha Verde. The hill is 54.5 m (178.8 ft) tall, the sixth tallest in Macau. The Government built barracks on the hill in 1865 and much of the island was of military area for decades, due to it being close to the Chinese border. The area used to be a crab-catching place but ceased to be upon the completion of the Ilha Verde cement factory in 1887.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-04-02. Retrieved 2014-06-17.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Contacts." University of Saint Joseph. Retrieved on January 17, 2018. "New Campus USJ’s headquarters have been moved to the new campus at: Estrada Marginal da Ilha Verde, 14-17, Macau, China 中國澳門青洲河邊馬路14-17號"
- Marques, Renato (2017-09-06). "USJ moves to new campus this week, recovers from typhoon damage". Macau Daily Times. Retrieved 2017-01-17.
|This Macau location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|