In the Heights (film)
|In the Heights|
|Directed by||Jon M. Chu|
|Based on||In the Heights|
by Quiara Alegría Hudes
|Music by||Lin-Manuel Miranda|
|Edited by||Myron Kerstein|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures|
In the Heights is an upcoming 2020 American musical drama film directed by Jon M. Chu and written by Quiara Alegría Hudes, based on the Broadway musical of the same name by Hudes and Lin-Manuel Miranda. The film stars Anthony Ramos.
In the Heights is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on June 26, 2020 by Warner Bros. Pictures.
- Anthony Ramos as Usnavi de la Vega
- Leslie Grace as Nina Rosario
- Corey Hawkins as Benny
- Melissa Barrera as Vanessa
- Jimmy Smits as Kevin Rosario
- Olga Merediz as Abuela Claudia
- Gregory Diaz as Sonny de la Vega
- Daphne Rubin-Vega as Daniela
- Stephanie Beatriz as Carla
- Noah Catala as Graffiti Pete
- Dascha Polanco as Cuca
- Marc Anthony as Sonny's father
- Lin-Manuel Miranda as Piragüero
On November 7, 2008, Universal Pictures announced that they planned to adapt the original musical as a feature film for release in 2011. Kenny Ortega was set to direct the film, which was slated to begin filming in summer 2011. However, the project was canceled in March 2011, when Universal opted not to produce the In the Heights film. However, in January 2012, Lin-Manuel Miranda stated that the film adaptation was back under discussion. In May 2016, it was announced that Miranda and Harvey Weinstein would produce the film with The Weinstein Company.
In the aftermath of numerous sexual misconduct allegations made against Weinstein, his producer credit on the film was removed, with the rights to the film eventually auctioned off to Warner Bros. for $50 million.
In October 2018, Anthony Ramos was cast in the film for an unspecified role. On November 5, 2018, it was reported that Rita Moreno had begun talks with the studio to star in the film, however shortly afterward this was revealed to be incorrect.
In January 2019, Corey Hawkins was cast in the role of Benny. In April 2019, Jimmy Smits, Melissa Barrera, Leslie Grace, Olga Merediz, Gregory Diaz, Daphne Rubin-Vega, Stephanie Beatriz and Dascha Polanco were cast. In June 2019, Marc Anthony and Lin-Manuel Miranda joined the cast.
- Gans, Andrew. "Universal Plans Silver-Screen Adaptation of In the Heights'", playbill.com, November 7, 2008
- Staff. In The Heights Movie Lands New Screenwriter. Broadway.com
- "ASK A STAR: Lin-Manuel Miranda". Broadway.com.
- David Itzkoff. ‘In the Heights’ Movie Gets a Director and a Star. (You’ve Heard of Him.). The New York Times.
-  playbill.com
- Miranda at Work on HEIGHTS Film; New Adaption of Potok's MY NAME IS ASHER LEV
- Lin-Manuel Miranda's 'In the Heights' Gets New Life at Weinstein Co. (Exclusive) Hollywood Reporter, Retrieved May 31, 2016
- Siegel, Tatiana; Kit, Borys (June 10, 2016). "Jon M. Chu in Talks to Direct Lin-Manuel Miranda's 'In the Heights' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 11, 2016.
- ‘In the Heights’: Warner Bros. Wins Movie Rights to Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Musical
- Kroll, Justin (October 10, 2018). "Anthony Ramos to Star in Lin-Manuel Miranda's 'In the Heights' Movie (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved October 11, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony; Ramos, Dino-Ray (November 5, 2018). "Interest Swirls Around Rita Moreno For 'In The Heights' But Oscar Winner Not Attached – Update". Deadline. Retrieved November 6, 2018.
- ‘In The Heights’ Finds Its Benny In Corey Hawkins
- Exclusive: Jimmy Smits Joins Lin-Manuel Miranda’s ‘In the Heights’ Movie
- 'In the Heights' Adds Melissa Barrera and Leslie Grace
- Jimmy Smits Joins Lin-Manuel Miranda’s ‘In The Heights’ Film; Olga Merediz, Gregory Diaz Also Cast
- 'In the Heights' Adds Daphne Rubin-Vega, Stephanie Beatriz, Dascha Polanco
- Marc Anthony to Star in 'In the Heights' Movie
- Lin-Manuel Miranda to play Piraguero in 'In the Heights' movie
- "After Yang" (PDF). NYC Media & Production. Retrieved April 30, 2019.
- "Lin-Manuel Miranda, 'In the Heights' director surprise high school performance of musical". EW.com. Retrieved 2019-06-03.
- Fuster, Jeremy (June 7, 2018). "Lin-Manuel Miranda's 'In The Heights' Set for Summer 2020 Release". TheWrap. Retrieved July 19, 2018.