Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode
|Motto||Yogah Karmasu Kaushalam (Sanskrit) - from the Gita 2:50|
Motto in English
|Diligence leads to Excellence|
|Type||Public business school|
|Students||FirstYear - 480|
|Campus||Suburban, 97 acres (0.4 km2)|
|Heraldry||Clockwise from the top: Arjuna's Bow & Arrow (Focus, Determination, Excellence, Achievement), Book (Wisdom, Knowledge, Learning) and Seascape (Kerala, Heritage)|
The Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode (IIM Kozhikode or IIMK) is an autonomous business school located in Calicut (Kozhikode), Kerala. The institute, set up in 1996 by the Government of India in collaboration with the State Government of Kerala, is one of the 20 Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs). It was the fifth IIM to be established.
The institute conducts a full range of academic activities in the field of management education covering research, teaching, and training, consulting and intellectual infrastructure development. The institute emphasises development of analytical skills and a focus on global and cross-cultural issues with a balance between business demands and social concerns.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Admission
- 4 Rankings
- 5 Academic programmes
- 6 Student life
- 7 People
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode was instituted in 1996 by the Government of India in collaboration with the Government of the state of Kerala and the first batch of 42 students commenced in 1997 at the temporary campus at the National Institute of Technology Calicut. In 2000, the site of the present campus at Kunnamangalam was identified. The following year, Joseph Stein (also the architect of the India Habitat Centre in Delhi) and Stein Mani Chowla Architects began the design and construction of the institute. In 2003, it into its hill-top campus. The then President of India, APJ Abdul Kalam inaugurated the campus.
Interactive Distance Learning, an online management education programme for working executives, was introduced in 2001-02. IIM Kozhikode was the first institute in Asia to offer a distance learning programme in management for working executives. Having started with 300 class contact hrs in 2001-02, the year-long Executive Management Education Programme is today the richest available in the country having 450 class contact hours. The Management Development Programme was also introduced the same year. The institute increased the number of students in PGP to 180 in 2005.In the batch of 2013 the intake is around 361 for PGP. IIMK started its doctoral programme, Fellow Program in Management (FPM) in 2007. The intake of women in the PGP course was pro-actively increased to 30% from the batch of 2010-12 to increase the number of women in management roles in India. In 2010, IIMK signed a memorandum of understanding with Yale University to establish a Center of Excellence for Academic Leadership as part of Singh-Obama Knowledge Initiative.
IIMK Kochi Campus was set up in August 2012.
The main campus is located in Kunnamangalam, a sub-urban area of Kozhikode (previously known as Calicut), Kerala. Kozhikode is the second largest city in Kerala. The campus is spread across two hills which are part of the Western Ghats. Besides classrooms, the campus also has residential facilities for students, faculty and visitors. The campus houses 13 hostels to house around 800 students who are required to stay on campus. Set up over 100 acres of land, the campus relies on rain water harvesting as its primary source of water. A couple of new Hostels - Hostel P and Hostel Q have come up recently and have been operational from the academic year 2018. The campus,parked on top of a hillock, is a beauty when drenched in rain.
Library and Information Center
IIM Kozhikode hosts a fully automated Library & Information Center (LIC) which is one of the Centers of Development of Digital Libraries in the world. The institute coordinated the South Asia Support Network for Greenstone Digital Library Software at the request of UNESCO and suggested the idea of IIM Library Consortium Movement. The library provides services as an institutional archive. A balanced programme on the development of the collection of hard copy, audio/video, CD-ROM, and other electronic forms of documents is being followed.
Indian Business Museum
IIM Kozhikode embarked on a programme to create a Museum of Indian Business History in 2010 which is believed to be the first of its kind. The museum will feature the contributions of India's business leaders, the history of trade, commerce, business and industries in India. The first phase was completed with a budget of Rs. 1.5 crore. The museum spanning 23000 sq. ft. features a large model of the Uru, an ancient ship which was used for trade and commerce between Indian and the rest of the world, and pavilions by Indian companies like Tata, Godrej, Reliance, State Bank of India and Infosys. The Reserve Bank of India gallery of the museum was inaugurated in 2012 by D. Subbarao, the then governor of Reserve Bank of India.
IIM Kozhikode opened a satellite campus in Kochi in June 2012 to enhance the institute's offerings in Executive Education, especially full-time and part-time programmes targeted at middle and senior level executives. The campus is based in Athulya Complex at InfoPark in Kochi.
The campus currently offers a two-year executive management programme, which is accredited by Association of MBAs (AMBA), in addition to short and long-term management development programmes.The first batch of the two year executive management programme commenced in April 2013.
Pre-budget panel discussion
The institute's current full-time student body consists of 720 graduate students and 38 doctoral students. The admissions to PGP course is based on the Common Admission Test (CAT) conducted by the IIMs for admission to graduate programs in management at 20 campuses. CAT is considered by test-takers as one of the most competitive exams in the world, with a success rate of about one in hundred. In 2015, around 2.1 lakh students enrolled for CAT to get admission to the IIMs.
49.5% seats in IIM Kozhikode are caste-based reserved quotas according to affirmative action policy of Government of India. 15% of the admitted students must be of the Scheduled Castes, and 7.5% of seats are reserved for Scheduled Tribes. The Other Backward Classes belonging to the "non-creamy layer" have been provided with 27% reservation since 2008 with the consent of the Supreme Court of India. 3% seats are reserved for Persons with Disability (PWD or DA). The reserved category students are admitted based on the CAT score using relaxed admissions criteria.
The institute also uses group discussions, essays and personal interviews to evaluate the students shortlisted based on CAT scores. In 2013, for shortlisting candidates for group discussion/essay/personal interview, IIMK used an index computed with 50 percent weight for the CAT-2012 score, 15 percent weight for academic performance in secondary school, 15 percent weight for academic performance in higher secondary school, 15 percent weight for academic performance in undergraduate level and 5 percent weight for being a female (to ensure gender diversity). For FPM admissions, candidates with CAT, GMAT or GATE scores are eligible. In 2013, the PGP course of IIM Kozhikode had 54 percent girls, up from 28 percent in the previous academic year.
|Business/Management – India|
|Business Today (2016)||8|
|Outlook India (2016)||5|
IIMK was ranked sixth among management schools in India by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) in 2018, eighth by Business Today's "India's best B-schools 2016" and fifth in India by Outlook India's "Top 100 Management Schools" of 2016.
IIM Kozhikode, like all IIMs, is an autonomous institution under Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of India. The institute is free to design its own curriculum and recruit faculty members. In April 2011, Union Minister Kapil Sibal announced that the government is mulling enhancement of the autonomy of IIMs by allowing them to select the director and the chairman of Board of Directors. The PGP (Postgraduate Programme) and the ePGP (Executive Postgraduate Programme) courses have been granted international accreditation by the Association of MBAs (AMBA). IIM Kozhikode charges tuition fees of Rs. 13,00,000 for the two year PGP programme. Merit scholarships are awarded by the institute to students on the basis of their grades during one academic year. Scholarships are also offered by trusts like Sir Ratan Tata Trust, HCIL, O.P Jindal Group etc.
Post-graduate Programme in Management
The two-year Post-graduate Programme in Management, equivalent to an MBA, is the flagship education program which aims to prepare young graduates for senior-level positions in industry. The institute stresses on a rigorous evaluation system and "learning to learn" approach through self-study, group work, open-ended discussions and real-life projects. The institute has also emphasized greater importance for social awareness and claims to distinguish itself from other IIMs in offering greater freedom to students in their intellectual pursuits. IIM Kozhikode is committed to give back to the society. In this regard, students are required to successfully complete 'Social Development Project (SDP)' wherein they propose solutions to key issues being faced by the society. Like all IIMs, IIM Kozhikode awards diplomas, not degrees.
Fellow Programme in Management
The FPM program is a full-time, residential PhD program in the field of management. Students spend first two years doing coursework which provides fundamental knowledge in the field of management. Upon completion of their coursework, students take a comprehensive exam, and pass on to candidacy where they work on their dissertation. The program is selective, admitting 5-10 students per year. The management faculty provides individual attention to the enrolled PhD students to enable them to publish one or more research papers before graduation. The FPM program is primarily dedicated to training students for research positions in well-known universities and corporations.
Executive Post-graduate Programme
Executive Post-graduate Programme offers a two-year post-graduate diploma programme in management and one year post-graduate certification programmes in General Management, Operations, Marketing, Finance, Strategy, IT and Human Resources. These programmes are aimed at working professionals with a minimum three years of experience. EPGP diploma programme have an interesting mix of student from different backgrounds with varied experience levels.
The EPGP program is accredited by the AMBA (Association of MBAs) since 2011. IIMK has been continuously updating the program curriculum to stay on par with global standards.
Social development initiatives
IIM Kozhikode incubated and mentors CREST (formerly Centre of Excellence - IIMK), an autonomous organization under the Government of Kerala, where youth from the marginalized sections of society are imparted training to make them intellectually and emotionally capable of joining reputed companies and educational institutions. The CREST functions as the Kerala Chapter of the Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR).
IIM Kozhikode, through its Social Service Group, provides academic and project expertise to the 'Promoting Regional Schools to International Standards through Multiple Intervention' (PRISM) project, an initiative to improve the infrastructure and overall environment of government schools in Kerala. The project aims at academic development and infrastructure upgrade of Government Schools and is supported by several private stakeholders.
IIM Kozhikode's International Exchange Programme endeavors to work with partner institutions to develop activities that foster trusting, enduring and mutually beneficial scholarly and social engagements between students, faculty members, staff and the broader community in countries across the globe. IIM Kozhikode offers student exchange programmes with European Business School, Germany; Copenhagen Business School, ESCP-EAP Paris; Bocconi University, Jonkoping International Business School, Leipzig Graduate School of Management, Leeds University Business School, University of Queensland, BEM - Bordeaux Management School, Cyprus International Institute of Management, Euromed Management, IESEG School of Management, Rouen Business School, Reims Management School, EDHEC Business School (Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales du Nord), ESSCA Angers and Norwegian School of Economics & Business Administration.
Research projects are funded either through IIMK's 'Small Grant Research Project' scheme, by external sources such as the Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of India, Government of Kerala or through collaborations with foreign universities/research institutes. Fifteen externally sponsored research projects and 40 small grant research projects including the development of cases have been completed during 1997-2007. During the academic year 2006-2007, 18 journal articles, five book chapters, five edited books, one book, 15 working papers and three case studies were published.
The students of PGP and FPM programmes are required to reside on campus. Residential facilities in the campus include 13 student hostels and faculty guest houses. Roobaroo is a cultural event conducted every year during the induction of the new batch to acclimate students with IIMK culture and to build a good on-campus community.
The apex student body of the campus is the Students' Council (popularly known as 'S-Con') which is an elected committee of six students each from the first and second-year batches of PGP course. The Students' Council facilitates elections to the other student committees in campus. In addition to elections, the Students' Council is involved in elective bidding, hostel bidding, co-ordinating other student bodies (IGs, clubs and committees), conducting Farewell, liaison with administration and institutional development activities.
Backwaters, the annual management fest; Echoes, the annual intercollegiate cultural event; E-Summit, the annual entrepreneur meet; and Horizons, the annual management conclave, are a few major events organized by the student body.
Nostalgia is the annual on-campus alumni meet and has been conducted since 2004. Sangram is an annual sports meet with IIM Bangalore with each institute hosting the event in alternate years. Sangam is the annual alumni meet of IIM Kozikode and is organized in several cities in India and abroad. Alumni Associaition actively conducts alumni meetings across India as well as abroad. Recently[when?] three alumni have been added to the Board of Governors of IIM-Kozhikode. The Annual General Meeting of the Alumni Association is conducted during Nostalgia.
Kozhikode Marathon Executive Committee of IIM Kozhikode has organized mini-marathon runs in Kozhikode annually since 2010 to raise funds for social causes. In 2012 and 2013, the Calicut Mini Marathon was organized in association with Government of Kerala to promote the cause of women empowerment and solid waste management respectively.
Besides student committees, the institute also has student interest groups for various fields of management like marketing, finance, consulting and hobby clubs, photography, music, dance, theatre etc. The institute also offers placement guidance for students and organizes placement processes for the Summer Internship and outgoing batch.
IIMK students, typically known as "Komrades", typically number 360 students in two batches with women making up about 40% of the total student community. Engineering graduates constitute around 70-80% of the student community. The average incoming student for PGP course has 15 months of full-time work experience. The most popular career industries for graduates are finance(33%) and marketing/operations(27%). The average age of participants for the Executive MBA programme is around 30 years with average work experience of 7.5 years and a minimum experience of five years.
The institute employs 48 full-time faculty members in economics, finance and accounting, managerial communication, general management, organizational behaviour and human resources, quantitative methods and operations management, information technology and systems and strategic management departments. Professor Debashis Chatterjee is the current director of IIM Kozhikode.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 8 May 2017. Retrieved 10 May 2017.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "IIM-K will teach ethics, not greed: Debashis Chatterjee, Director, IIM Kozhikode". The Times Of India. 21 December 2010.
- "IIMK - Growth History". www.iimk.ac.in. Retrieved 20 December 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 20 May 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "No quota, yet IIM-Kozhikode admits 33% women". The Times Of India. 13 May 2010.
- Reporter, B. S. (1 November 2010). "IIMK, Yale in tie-up for leadership programme". Business Standard. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "India Together: IIM Kozhikode runs on rainwater - 08 June 2005". Indiatogether.org. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 6 May 2007. Retrieved 14 March 2007.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "DSpace Home". Dspace.iimk.ac.in. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- Naha, Abdul Latheef (14 November 2011). "Museum of business history". The Hindu. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "IIMK - EPGP Admission Notification". Iimk.ac.in. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "IIM-K Kochi campus inaugurated". Thehindubusinessline.com. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Pre-union Budget Discussion at IIMK". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- "Budget 2015: IIM Kozhikode's panel discussion stresses on importance of reforms". Timesofindia-economictimes. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 18 July 2014. Retrieved 11 March 2014.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Chances of IIM seat get slimmer". Inhome.rediff.com. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "IIMs Common Admission Test CAT - Most Popular MBA Entrance Exam in India". Successcds.net. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "2.1 lakh enrol for CAT 2015, marking a 6-year-high". The Times of India. Retrieved 12 March 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 13 August 2011. Retrieved 19 May 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 23 January 2013. Retrieved 22 March 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 24 September 2011. Retrieved 19 May 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Umarji, M. Saraswathy & Vinay (8 May 2014). "Are too many engineers making IIMs parochial?". Business Standard. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Management)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018. Retrieved 3 April 2018.
- "India's best B-schools 2016: Full List". Business Today. 4 December 2016. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- "Fits And Start-Ups: The A+ Schools". Outlook India. 3 October 2016.
- "Finally, IIMs to get autonomy". Rediff.com. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "IIM-K courses get global recognition". The Hindu. 12 February 2011.
- "IIM-A and C role models no more: IIM-K director". Rediff.com. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "It's time IIMs give degree, not diploma: Panel". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 12 May 2014. Retrieved 11 May 2014.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "IIM-K ties up with Stanford University". Business Line. 3 September 2018. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 17 April 2012. Retrieved 11 May 2014.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Praveen, S. r (10 January 2013). "PRISM project for upgrade of schools". The Hindu. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Upgraded facilities will attract more students towards government schools". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Home". Cyprus International Institute of Management. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 25 April 2011. Retrieved 20 May 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 18 August 2011. Retrieved 19 May 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 18 August 2011. Retrieved 19 May 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "iimk backwaters Archives - K-Files". K-Files. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Echoes-2011 kicks off with a highly charged up K-nite !! - K-Files". Blog.iimklive.com. 14 January 2011. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Alumni IIM Kozhikode - Nostalgia 2011 - A grand success!". Archived from the original on 11 August 2011. Retrieved 19 May 2011.
- "Sangram 2010 : IIMK - IIMB Sports Meet - K-Files". Blog.iimklive.ocm. 8 October 2010. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "IIM-K holds alumni meet". 1 June 2012.
- https://www.iimk.ac.in/iimk/bog.php. Missing or empty
- "Mini marathon with a major cause". The Hindu. 7 February 2011.
- "Hundreds run in Calicut mini-marathon". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 10 March 2011. Retrieved 20 May 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 26 October 2011. Retrieved 20 May 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 8 August 2011. Retrieved 20 May 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Hindustan Times - Archive News". Archived from the original on 8 May 2014. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode.|