Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Headquarters||New York City|
Number of locations
|Owner||Serve U Brands|
Insomnia Cookies is a chain of bakeries in the United States that specializes in delivering warm cookies. Based in New York and Philadelphia, it was started in 2003 by Seth Berkowitz, a student at the University of Pennsylvania. There are over 100 locations as of 2017. Most are located by university campuses and cater to students who want to order cookies late at night.
History and operations
The concept was founded by Seth Berkowitz in 2003 while attending the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. Berkowitz began baking and delivering cookies from a dorm room to students on campus late at night. From there the concept of cookie delivery grew. The first retail store opened in 2004 in Syracuse, NY.
Insomnia Cookies is based in New York City. Insomnia Cookies bakeries are typically located near college and university campuses to target students who wish to order cookies past the closing time of traditional bakeries. Stores have opened in Philadelphia, Miami, New York City, Boston, Charlotte, Raleigh, Washington, Rochester, Baltimore, Champaign, Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Chapel Hill, Greenville, Morgantown, Pittsburgh,  Tucson and San Marcos.
Insomnia Cookies sells 12 varieties of cookies, as well as cookie cakes and brownies with candy toppings. Milk is also available with every order. Ice cream is also offered at most locations.
- Van Allen, Peter (8 March 2013). "Another place to get a cookie at 3 in the morning". Philadelphia Business Journal. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- Casey, Drew (2015-10-10). "Midnight munchies? Insomnia Cookies has your back". CNBC. Retrieved 2016-06-26.
- "Insomnia Cookies Syracuse LLC". Business Lookup.
- Torres, Carla (22 January 2014). "Insomnia Cookies in South Beach: Late-Night Ice Cream and Treats". Miami New Times. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- Petrone, Carly (17 February 2012). "NYC's 5 Best Cookies". CBS New York, West Lafayette. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- Suen, Mabel. "A Look Inside Insomnia Cookies' New Central West End Storefront". Riverfront Times.