Isaiah Johnson (American football, born October 1992)
|No. 39 – Tampa Bay Buccaneers|
|Born:||October 14, 1992|
Cary, North Carolina
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||213 lb (97 kg)|
|High school:||Cary (NC) Panther Creek|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
|Player stats at PFR|
Isaiah Nigel Johnson (born October 14, 1992) is an American football safety for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at South Carolina and Kansas.
Initially Johnson attended Western Carolina but was granted a medical redshirt. In 2012 he played for Iowa Western Community College where he helped lead them to an NJCAA National Championship. Johnson then played at Kansas. In 2013 Johnson played safety at Kansas and finished second on the team in tackles with 73 total tackles, and also had 5 interceptions. Johnson was named Big 12 Defensive Newcomer of the Year. In 2014, Johnson was second on the team in tackles again with 75 total tackles, and also had 1 interception. Johnson graduated from Kansas with a degree in sociology and then transferred to South Carolina to play college football for his final season of eligibility. At South Carolina in 2015, Johnson was named one of the team captains. Johnson finished his final season of college football at South Carolina as the second leading tackler with 74 tackles and an interception.
Overall, Johnson started all 36 of his career Division 1 college football games.
Johnson was signed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as an undrafted free agent on May 2, 2016. He was released on September 3, 2016 during final roster cuts and was signed to the practice squad. He spent the entire season on the practice squad and signed a reserve/future contract with the Buccaneers on January 2, 2017.
On September 2, 2017, Johnson was waived by the Buccaneers and was signed to the practice squad the next day. He was promoted to the active roster on October 5, 2017. He was waived on October 24, 2017 and re-signed to the practice squad. He was promoted back to the active roster on December 20, 2017.
- Smith, Scott (May 2, 2016). "Buccaneers Land 19 Rookie Free Agents". Buccaneers.com. Archived from the original on March 3, 2018. Retrieved May 29, 2017.
- Smith, Scott (September 5, 2016). "Bucs Form Practice Squad". Buccaneers.com. Archived from the original on August 7, 2017.
- Smith, Scott (January 2, 2017). "Bucs Re-Sign Six from Practice Squad". Buccaneers.com.
- Smith, Scott (September 2, 2017). "Wide Variety of Moves Gets Bucs to 53". Buccaneers.com.
- Smith, Scott (September 3, 2017). "Bucs Stay Home for Practice Squad". Buccaneers.com.
- Smith, Scott (October 5, 2017). "Bucs Promote Isaiah Johnson, Waive Jacquies Smith". Buccaneers.com.
- Smith, Scott (October 25, 2017). "Bucs Open Spot on Active Roster". Buccaneers.com.
- Smith, Scott (December 20, 2017). "Standout Rookies Among Five Bucs Headed to IR". Buccaneers.com. Archived from the original on December 23, 2017.