Israeli Diving Federation
|Purpose||Underwater Diver training|
|Headquarters||Wingate Institute, Netanya Israel|
The Gulf of Eilat is one of the most popular diving destinations in the world. About 250,000 dives are performed annually in Eilat's 11 km Gulf of Aqaba coastline, and diving represents 10% of the tourism income in this area.
TIDF was founded in 1966 by ex-Navy diving instructors and members of an underwater archaeological society. In the 1970s the federation began certifying dive instructors in the wake of numerous diving accidents, especially in Sinai peninsula, which at that time was under Israeli control. In 1979, Knesset passed the Recreational Diving Law (Heb:חוק הצלילה הספורטיבית), which regulates training, certification and practice of diving in Israel. The federation was its enforcing body until 1997.
Courses and certification
- Diveclub Diver - A basic diving certificate available from age 12. The 'Diveclub Diver' is allowed to dive up to 12 meters (39 feet) and must be accompanied by a registered dive guide.
- One-star Diver - The one-star diver certificate is parallel to Open Water Diver of SSI/PADI. This level entitles its owner to perform dives up to 20 meters (66 feet) accompanied by another diver with Two-stars or higher certification.
- Two-star diver - This level is parallel to Advanced Open Water Diver of SSI/PADI. Two-star divers can dive to depths of up to 30 meters (98 feet).
- Three-star diver - This level is parallel to SSI Master Diver.
- Assistant Instructor - This level is parallel to Assistant Instructor Diver of SSI/PADI.
- "THE ISRAELI DIVING FEDERATION". CMAS. Retrieved 11 December 2012.
- "Associate/Observers". European Underwater Federation. Retrieved 16 December 2012.
- Artificial Reefs and Dive Tourism in Eilat, Building Capacity for Coastal Management, Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences
- Ministry of Education, Culture & Sport Archived 10 December 2005 at the Wayback Machine
- "EUF Certified Training Systems/Training Organisations". EUF Certification International. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "Courses and certifications, EUF". The Israeli Diving Federation. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "Sports". The Israeli Diving Federation. Retrieved 9 February 2013.