Jack & Jason's Pancakes & Waffles
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Owner||Jack Harper, Jason Jervis|
|Parent||Harvis Enterprises Ltd.|
Jack & Jason's Pancakes & Waffles is an independently owned and operated artisan foods company based out of San Francisco. The pancake and waffle mixes produced out of their Dogpatch facility are made entirely of all-natural, organic ingredients. The company is also a staunch proponent of the American economic recovery movement, working exclusively with domestic farmers and distributors and focusing significantly on job creation for local residents.
Jack & Jason's Pancakes & Waffles started when co-owners Jack Harper and Jason Jervis made the decision to leave their corporate jobs in favor of starting an enterprise of their own. After departing their occupations, the two partners held brainstorming sessions during their daily breakfasts to conceive a suitable idea for their new business venture. Jack and Jason ran through the general market's limited breakfast options quickly, so they began formulating and developing their own pancake and waffle mixes.
Bolstered by positive reception from friends and family, the two partners decided to package and sell their homemade mixes in a limited capacity. Several weeks of meticulous testing and refinement led Harper and Jervis to ultimately develop the five distinct flavors that would become their base product line. Starting small with handmade packaging and a customer base built solely upon word of mouth, Harper and Jervis soon encountered growing public demand for their product.
Determined to meet the needs of their growing customer base, the two partners designed and implemented a specialized manufacturing line—when the first production batch rolled out, Jack and Jason's Pancakes & Waffles was officially up and running. Currently, the company boasts a growing staff of enthusiastic workers and several wholesale distributors across San Francisco and northern California including Boudin Bakery in Fisherman's Wharf, Mollie Stone's Markets down the Peninsula, New Leaf Community Markets around Santa Cruz, and Nugget Markets in the Sacramento metropolitan area. Jack & Jason's is also branching out to other states; in addition to nationwide online shipping, their products can now be found in Portland, Oregon, Phoenix, Arizona, and Sellersville, Pennsylvania.
- Original - Custom blend of freshly milled whole wheat flour and baby oats from South San Francisco.
- Banana Walnut - Farm-grown bananas and walnuts cultivated in Modesto.
- Blueberry - Organic blueberries grown in California's Central Valley.
- Double Chocolate - Hershey's cocoa and Guittard white chocolate chips from Burlingame.
- Pumpkin Spice - Real pumpkin harvested in Momence, IL and spice from Rancho Cordova.
Jack & Jason's mixes are produced using organic ingredients provided by local Bay Area companies. The company avoids the use of additives and preservatives (processed baking powder, hydrogenated oils, shortening, etc.) found in more common pancake mixes. As a result, Jack and Jason's mixes are low in fat, high in protein, and provide a full daily serving of dietary fiber from whole grain.
Jack & Jason's Pancakes & Waffles is an active member of the San Francisco community. The company stages events such as their annual "Pancake Palooza" and various other promotions at different locations across the city in efforts to stay connected to neighborhood residents and create a positive "local" atmosphere. The company hosted a media breakfast gathering at the Westin St. Francis in April and will make an appearance at the upcoming Bay to Breakers run in May.
National Pancake Week
Jack & Jason's participates in "National Pancake Week", an annual celebration of the breakfast fare. On March 1, 2011, owners Harper and Jervis were presented with a Certificate of Honor from San Francisco Mayor Edwin M. Lee commending their company on the quality of their product, green packaging material, and community outreach through donations to local charities and arts education.
Earth Month campaign
In cooperation with The Nature Conservancy, Jack & Jason's Pancakes & Waffles will plant one tree for each case of their mix sold during the month of April. The Earth Month campaign stems from a combination of April's Earth Day and Arbor Day. The company has put forth a goal of planting 200 trees, but will match a higher number should that projection be surpassed.
Wine Enthusiast's Toast of the Town
Jack & Jason's Pancakes & Waffles was a participant in Wine Enthusiast Magazine's Toast of the Town. The Toast of the Town is a "walk-around" event featuring premier Bay Area food and wine companies that takes place in and around City Hall.
On the evening before the 2010 Bay to Breakers race, Jack and Jason's held their first annual "Pancake Palooza", a community carb-loading event aimed at providing runners with an alternative source for complex carbohydrates to fuel their upcoming dash across the city. This year's "Pancake Palooza" will be held at the Harvey Milk Arts Center in Duboce Park on May 14—it is a family-friendly event with all proceeds from an open raffle going directly to the San Francisco Child Abuse Prevention Center.
- "Flapjackin' Around with Joel Riddell!". The Dot Dot Dot Blog. March 7, 2011. Retrieved March 25, 2011.
- "Jack & Jason's Pancakes & Waffles Launches in San Francisco, Bringing Healthy Ingredients and Fun Back to Breakfast" (Press release). Jack & Jason's Pancakes & Waffles. February 9, 2011. Retrieved March 29, 2011.
- foodgal (March 18, 2011). "Jack and Jason Went to the Kitchen to Make Pancakes". Food Gal. Retrieved March 25, 2011.
- Radio interview: "Dining Around with Gene Burns". KGO Newstalk 810, San Francisco. March 7, 2011, Hour 3.
- Duggan, Tara (February 26, 2011). "Hot Cakes: Local Pancake Mix Makes Good". Frequencies. The Bay Citizen. Retrieved March 26, 2011.
- "Jack & Jason's 'Store Locator' tool". Retrieved March 28, 2012.
- "Cake Boss". DailyCandy. NewsLetterTree. February 14, 2011. Retrieved March 25, 2011.
- Thym, Jolene (March 8, 2011). "Pancake Mixes". Picky Eater. Bay Area News Group. Retrieved March 29, 2011.
- "Batter Up: It's Pancake Week". Allrecipes.com. Retrieved March 25, 2011.
- "Participating Restaurants: Wine Enthusiast Toast of the Town". Wine Enthusiast Magazine. Retrieved March 29, 2011. Italic or bold markup not allowed in: