|Colorado Rockies – No. 37|
|Born: May 27, 1991|
Puerto la Cruz, Anzoátegui, Venezuela
|September 8, 2014, for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2019 season)
|Earned run average||4.23|
Jairo Jose Díaz Hernandaz (born May 27, 1991) is a Venezuelan professional baseball pitcher for the Colorado Rockies of Major League Baseball (MLB). He made his MLB debut with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in 2014.
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
In 2014, Diaz played for the Inland Empire 66ers of the Class A-Advanced California League and the Arkansas Travelers of the Class AA Texas League, and pitched to a 3.48 earned run average (ERA) with 85 strikeouts in 64 2⁄3 innings pitched. The Angels promoted him to the major leagues on September 8. Díaz made his MLB debut that day, recording two strikeouts.
After the 2014 season, the Angels traded Díaz to the Colorado Rockies in exchange for Josh Rutledge. During the 2015 season, Díaz had a 3–5 record and a 4.58 ERA with 50 strikeouts in 47 appearances for the Albuquerque Isotopes of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League and a 2.37 ERA with 18 strikeouts in 21 appearances with the Rockies. During spring training in 2016, Díaz tore a ligament in his right elbow that would require Tommy John surgery. Díaz was designated for assignment on June 10, 2018, and later released on June 14. A day later, he re-signed with the Rockies to a minor league contract. He elected free agency on November 3, 2018. On December 21, Díaz re-signed to a minor league contract. He was called up on May 22, 2019 to the MLB roster.
- "Hamilton still out as Angels return to Cleveland: Angels Blog: Orange County Register". The Orange County Register. Retrieved September 19, 2014.
- "Diaz strikes out two in MLB debut after callup - angels.com". MLB.com. Retrieved September 19, 2014.
- Saunders, Patrick (December 11, 2014). "Rockies trade Josh Rutledge to Angels for reliever Jairo Diaz". The Denver Post. Retrieved March 7, 2016.
- "Colorado Rockies' Jairo Diaz to undergo Tommy John surgery – MiLB.com News – The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved March 7, 2016.
- Adams, Steve (June 14, 2018). "Minor MLB Transactions: 6/14/18". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved June 14, 2018.
- Todd, Jeff (June 18, 2018). "Rockies To Re-Sign Jairo Diaz". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- Eddy, Matt (November 6, 2018). "Minor League Free Agents 2018". Baseball America. Retrieved November 12, 2018.
- Polishuk, Mark (January 2, 2018). "Minor MLB Transactions: 1/2/19". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved January 2, 2018.