This article may be confusing or unclear to readers. (June 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• MLA||Aswani Patra|
|• Total||150,000 |
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Sex ratio||1000:942 ♂/♀|
Jaleswar is a small town that belongs to Balasore district of state Odisha and is near to border of West Bengal. 'Jaleswar' town is a Municipality. And also Jaleswar block . (consists of 144 villages and Jaleswar town (municipality) forms a state constituency along with Balipal Block.
As of 2001[update] India census, Jaleswar block had a population of 1,31,867. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Jaleswar has an average literacy rate of 78%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 83%, and female literacy is 67%. In Jaleswar, 14% of the population is under 6 years of age. As of 2011[update] India census, Jaleswar block had a population of 1,23,423. Males constitute 52% and females 48%. There are about 144 inhabited census villages and out of them 30 villages have less than 200 population in these villages. Jaleswar is now being considered as one of the new Municipalities in the State with 17 wards and a population of 25,747 as per Census 2011.
Jaleswar is a major town in the Balasore district. Jaleswar has four major areas: Bada Bazar, Nua Bazar, Station Bazar and Purunia Bazar. Jaleswar is near the West Bengal border (about 8 km).
Places of interest
From Jaleswar,Digha in West Bengal is 38 km. People can take Auto, Bus, Taxi from Jaleswar Town. Most of the people from West Bengal come to this Beach and Marine area. It has a low gradient with a shallow sand beach with gentle waves extends 7 km in length.
- Chandaneswar Shiva temple is situated in Chandanswar which is 27 km from Jaleswar. It is famous for Maha Vishuva Sankranti. Locally called Uda Parba, Nila Parba after worshiping Nilakanth Shiva, Chadaka Yatra. The Bhaktas with their 'manaskamana' come from all over the country. From last 5th Arghya to 3rd Arghya the Bhaktas increase more in numbers. Near about 3 to 4 lakh of Bhaktas offer their Arghyas (prayer) at night only. Whole the day remain fasting not even swallow their spit.
- Talsari Beach is 5 km from Chandaneswar and 32 km from Jaleswar Town. The beach with its tall coconut trees, palm trees and casuarina make for a beautiful sight.
- Laxmannath Gara is 5 km from Jaleswar. During Durga Puja lots of people come to visit the gara and the goddess Durga.Subarnarekha River flows near Jaleswar.
- Raibania Gara is a historically significant one is also 14.5 km from Jaleswar.
- Bhusandeswar Temple is the greatest shiv Ling in Asia Pacific and it is 30 km from Jaleswar Town. It is closed to Jaleswar Station Via Paschimbard. The village Paschimbard is a middle portion of Jaleswar to Baliapal.[clarification needed]
Culture and festivals
Jaleswar culture is a blend of traditional festivals, food. The Jaleswar residents celebrate both Western and Indian festivals like Diwali, Holi, Eid, Christmas, Navratri, Dussera, Moharram, Ganesh Chaturthi, Rath Yatra, Durga Puja and Maha Shivratri are some of the popular festivals in the city. Major festivals are Durga Puja, Basanti Puja, and Ratha Yatra.
Jaleswar is connected to Kolkata (formerly Calcutta) is about 187 km from East and Bhubaneswar is about 268 km from North (the capital city of Odisha) by railway and bus service. And 50 km from District Headquarter Balasore. The national highway and the east coast railway are important transportation thoroughfares. Auto-rickshaws or tempos are the main means of transportation within and to the outskirts of the town.
Jaleswar is growing as one of the key place for Education. Biswanath Academy Jamalpur school and Laksman nath high school are the 3rd and 2nd oldest high school of balasore district.B.N Academy jamalpur is situated at a distance of 6km from jaleswar town. It is situated near subarnarekha river. It was built by Biswanath Parida a leading freedom fighter on 1938. Jaleswar Women's College has been leading in terms of cut off marks among Junior Arts Colleges during 2013–14 and 2014–15.
Universities and colleges
- Dinakrushna (Junior) College, Jaleswar
- Olamara Simanta (Junior) Mahavidyalaya, Olamara
- Sadhu Charan (Junior) Mahavidyalaya, Raibania
- Sitala Thakurani (Junior) College, Khuluda
- Ustab Charan Gajiani Chandi (Junior) College, Bartana
- Digambari Devi College of Science & Technology, Jaleswar
- Jaleswar Women's (Junior) College, Jaleswar
- Sri Jagannath Women's (Junior) College, Jaleswar
- IPS (institute of Pharmaceutical Science)
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.
- ORGI. "Census of India : Population Enumeration Data (Final Population)". www.censusindia.gov.in.