James Monroe Iglehart
James Monroe Iglehart
|Born||September 4, 1974 (age 45)|
|Height||6 ft (183 cm)|
|Spouse(s)||Dawn Iglehart (m. 2002)|
James Monroe Iglehart (born September 4, 1974) is an American stage actor and singer.
Iglehart is perhaps best known for his Tony Award-winning performance as the Genie in the original Broadway production of Aladdin. Iglehart assumed the role of Marquis de Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson in the Broadway company of Hamilton in April 2017
Iglehart attended Cal State Hayward and started his career in California, performing in Bat Boy at TheatreWorks, Palo Alto, California and as Teen Angel in Grease at the American Musical Theatre, San Jose, California.
In 2005, he directed Bat Boy the Musical at Ray of Light Theatre. He has played Mitch Mahoney in The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee on Broadway as a replacement starting in April 2007. He originated the role of Bobby in Memphis on Broadway in October 2009.
Iglehart performed the role of the Genie in Aladdin on Broadway, a performance for which he won the 2014 Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in a Musical and the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Featured Actor in a Musical for this role. When asked about the role, he said, "It's not as exhausting as you think. I'm kind of an energetic guy in general, so basically I'm kind of being me with the volume turned up." Iglehart departed the company of Aladdin in February 2017 to begin rehearsals in the role of Marquis de Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson in the Broadway company of Hamilton.
Igleheart voices the character Lance Strongbow in Tangled: The Series.
|2006||The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee||Mitch Mahoney||Wilbur Theatre||Regional/Boston|
|2007–08||Circle in the Square Theatre||Broadway|
|2009||The Wiz||Lion||New York City Center Encores!||Off-Broadway|
|2011||Aladdin||The Genie||5th Avenue Theatre||Seattle/Pre-Broadway|
|2013–14||Ed Mirvish Theatre||Toronto/Pre-Broadway|
|2014–17||New Amsterdam Theatre||Broadway|
|2017–present||Hamilton||Marquis de Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson||Richard Rodgers Theatre||Broadway|
He was raised in Hayward, California, with his brother. His father is a business man, and his mother is a former high school choir teacher. His father is actually former baseball star and actor James Iglehart. He met his future wife Dawn in the Mt. Eden High School show choir and married her in 2002.
Awards and nominations
|2014||Tony Awards||Best Featured Actor in a Musical||Aladdin||Won|
|Drama Desk Awards||Outstanding Featured Actor in a Musical||Won|
|Broadway.com Audience Choice Award||Favorite Featured Actor in a Musical||Nominated|
|Favorite Diva Performance||Nominated|
|Favorite Funny Performance||Nominated|
- Ng, David (21 May 2014). "James Monroe Iglehart releases the genie inside". latimes.com. Retrieved 3 December 2016.
- "10 Things You May Not Know: James Monroe Iglehart of 'Aladdin'". New York Shows. Retrieved 2016-12-03.
- "Igleharts Wish Granted" nypost.com, March 9, 2014
- Blank, Matthew. "The Genie of Broadways Aladdin James Monroe Iglehart" playbill.com, March 18, 2014
- "James Monroe Iglehart Nominated for a Tony" rayoflighttheatre.com
- "James Monroe Iglehart" broadwayworld.com
- "James Monroe Iglehart" Internet Broadway Database
- Staff. Just the Winners, Please: Who Won the 68th Annual Tony Awards" playbill.com, June 8, 2014
- Geek.com, 06.11.2019 - MOVIES, 11 Forgotten Blaxploitation Classics That Deserve Your Time,← Savage! By K. Thor Jensen
- The Los Angeles Times, May 31, 2014 - Entertainment & Arts, James Monroe Iglehart releases the genie inside By David Ng
- Showtickets.com, June 2, 2016 - 10 Things You May Not Know: James Monroe Iglehart of ‘Aladdin’ Category Broadway |by Karu Daniels