James Sample (American football)
Sample with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2015
|Born:||June 23, 1992|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||215 lb (98 kg)|
|High school:||Grant Union|
|NFL Draft:||2015 / Round: 4 / Pick: 104|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2016|
James Sample (born June 23, 1992) is an American football safety who is currently a free agent. He played college football at Washington and Louisville, and was drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the fourth round of the 2015 NFL Draft.
Sample attended Grant Union High School in Sacramento, California, where he was teammates with Viliami Moala and Shaq Thompson on the football team. As a junior, he was named first-team All-Metro and a PrepStar All-American as he helped lead Grant to a 12-1 record, totaling 111 tackles. He recorded 109 tackles as a senior at Grant, being named a high school All-American and was voted to participate in the U.S. Army All-America Bowl. He was also named first-team All-CIF San Joaquin Section, first-team All-Metro by the Sacramento Bee, first-team All-Delta Valley Conference, and first-team All-NorCal by NorCalPreps.com. He was dubbed a third-team All-state performer by ESPN.com in 2011.
Also a standout in track & field Sample was a state qualifier sprinter. At Grant Union High School, he posted personal-best times of 11.1 seconds in the 100-meter dash and 23.37 seconds in the 200-meter dash. He was also a member of the 4 × 100 m squad.
Sample attended Washington from 2011 to 2012. After playing in five games over two years, Sample left Washington and transferred to American River College. After one year at American River College, he transferred to the University of Louisville in 2014. He played in 13 games, recording 90 tackles and four interceptions. After the season, he entered the 2015 NFL Draft, forgoing his senior year.
Sample was drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the fourth round of the 2015 NFL Draft with the 104th overall pick. He played in four games with two starts his rookie year before suffering a shoulder injury in Week 4, keeping him out the rest of the season. On August 30, 2016, Sample was placed on injured reserve with a shoulder injury. On August 6, 2017, Sample was released by the Jaguars.
- Ex-Husky James Sample a 'sleeper' at NFL combine
- Louisville football adds safety James Sample
- Louisville adds former Washington safety
- U of L safety Sample to declare for NFL draft
- Louisville's James Sample to apply for early entry into 2015 draft
- Oehser, John (May 2, 2015). "15 NFL Draft: Jaguars select Sample at No. 104". Jaguars.com. Retrieved August 6, 2017.
- Oehser, John. "James Sample on injured reserve". Jaguars.com.
- "Jaguars Sign Safety Jeron Johnson". Jaguars.com. August 6, 2017.
- "Redskins Sign 11 Players To Reserve/Future Contracts". Redskins.com. January 1, 2018. Archived from the original on January 3, 2018.
- Williams, Charean. "Washington cuts six players, including A.J. Francis, Montori Hughes". Pro Football Talk. Retrieved April 30, 2018.