Chrysler LLC (2007-2009)
Chrysler Group LLC (2009-2014)
FCA US LLC (2014-present)
FCA India Automobiles (2017-present)
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Compact crossover SUV|
|Body style||4-door SUV|
|Layout||FF / F4|
The Jeep Compass is a four-door compact crossover SUV introduced for the 2007 model year, and is now in its second generation. The first generation Compass and Patriot, its rebadged variant, were among Jeep's first crossover SUVs. The second-generation Compass debuted in September 2016 in Brazil and at the Los Angeles International Auto Show in November 2016, sharing a modified platform with the Renegade.
Four years prior to the introduction of the production Jeep Compass, a concept vehicle with the same name had its world premiere in Detroit at the 2002 North American International Auto Show. It featured a two-door body, all-wheel drive and a 3.7-liter V6 engine.
The 3.7 L Power-Tech V6 engine from the Jeep Liberty did not make it into the all-new Compass for 2007, though the production model Compass kept the concept car's styling cues and some of its features. The production model Compass also had four doors instead of the two doors on the concept car.
First generation (MK49; 2006–2016)
2008 Jeep Compass Limited
|Assembly||Belvidere, Illinois, United States|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Compact crossover SUV|
|Body style||4-door SUV|
|Layout||front-engine, front-wheel drive|
|Platform||Chrysler PM/MK platform|
|Wheelbase||103.7 in (2,635 mm)|
|Length||173.4 in (4,404 mm)|
|Width||69.3 in (1,760 mm)|
Jeep debuted the production version of the Compass at the 2006 North American International Auto Show in January. The first Compass was assembled on May 30, 2006, in Belvidere, Illinois, where the Dodge Neon was produced.
The Compass did not carry the "Trail Rated" badge found on other SUVs in the Jeep family for the 2007-2010 model years, but received the "Trail Rated" badge for the 2011 model year. This indicates that the Compass targets first-time Jeep buyers and those who drive primarily on paved roads.
The Compass and Patriot are both based on the DaimlerChrysler/Mitsubishi GS platform. These vehicles are differentiated by their styling and marketing: The Patriot is a traditionally styled 4-door Jeep wagon, while the Compass has a softer hatchback look, similar to the Dodge Caliber.
For 2011, Jeep redesigned the Compass to more closely resemble the Grand Cherokee, while keeping its own identity. The 2011 Jeep Compass also receives a revised suspension for better handling, a revised interior with more standard equipment, and more option packages including a Freedom Drive II Off-Road Package which includes a continuously variable transmission fitted with a low-range setting, all-terrain tires inside 17-inch aluminum wheels, skid plates, a four-wheel-drive system, and an increase ground clearance of a full inch.
A special edition Compass model commemorated Jeep’s 70th anniversary in 2011, and included various upgrades, special interiors, badges, wheels, and was available in only three exterior colors: Bronze Star, Bright Silver, and Black.
The Compass uses a 172 hp (128 kW) 2.4 L World I4 gasoline engine. The 2.0 L World engine is available on the 4X2 Sport model with 158 hp (118 kW). A 2.0 L l-R4 TDi 103 kW (138 hp; 140 PS) Volkswagen-designed diesel engine was available for the European and Australian markets, replaced in 2011 by the 2.2 L Mercedes-Benz OM651.
The Compass also features two electronically controlled four-wheel drive systems. Freedom Drive I and Freedom Drive II, Freedom Drive I is a full-time four-wheel drive system with locking capabilities; Freedom Drive II is based on Freedom Drive I but by using the vehicle's CVT transmission it is capable of a 19:1 gear reduction simulating a low-range usually found in vehicles with dedicated transfer cases.
The base model version has front wheel drive (FWD). The Trail Rated version of the Compass has passed the same testing of off-road ability as other Jeep vehicles in terms of traction, ground clearance, maneuverability, articulation, and water fording.
The three basic models of Compass are Sport, Latitude, and Limited.
The Sport serves as the base model. It includes features such as seventeen-inch alloy wheels, an AM/FM stereo with single-disc CD player and four speakers, a heater, cloth seating surfaces, and manual, roll-up windows and manual door locks. Features such as power windows and door locks, a seven-speaker Boston Acoustics premium sound system with a 368-watt external amplifier, and air conditioning are options. The 2014-2016 Jeep Compass Sport and Sport SE, The Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) does not come as standard equipment. An EVIC gives the user information such as gas mileage, number of miles to empty, service intervals, tire pressure, etc.
The Latitude is the midrange model. It added features onto the Sport, such as air conditioning, keyless entry, a security system, and power windows and door locks. The EVIC comes as an optional component with the security and cargo convenience package. This option comes with alarm, tonneau cover, tire pressure monitoring display, garage door opener, and electronic vehicle information center. The model became available in 2011.
The Limited is the top-of-the-line model. It added features such as leather-trimmed seats, had an available sunroof, and remote starter.
A 70th Anniversary Edition was based on the Sport model. It added air conditioning, unique leather-trimmed seats, unique alloy wheels, a sunroof, side-impact airbags, a seven-speaker Boston Acoustics premium sound system with a 368-watt external amplifier, power windows and door locks, keyless entry, and a security alarm. This special edition model was only offered in 2011 to celebrate Jeep's 70th anniversary. All Jeep models for 2011 only offered a 70th Anniversary Edition model (Compass, Patriot, Wrangler, Wrangler Unlimited, Liberty, and the Grand Cherokee).
An Altitude Edition model was made available in 2012. It was based upon the Latitude model, and added black-painted alloy wheels, leather-trimmed seats, a sunroof, and a Boston Acoustics premium sound system with a 368-watt external amplifier. The Altitude package was available on the Jeep Grand Cherokee only at first, but then was available on the Compass, Patriot, Wrangler, and Wrangler Unlimited as well. All models except the Jeep Grand Cherokee dropped this model (the Grand Cherokee model continued to offer this model for the 2013 model year). The Altitude name was chosen in a contest to name a Grand Cherokee concept car. Because of the Altitude's popularity, Jeep decided to offer it on all models except for the Jeep Liberty.
The Compass was safety tested by Euro NCAP in 2012 and earned only a two star rating.
|Euro NCAP test results|
|Jeep Compass (2012)|
|Side Rear Passenger:|
|Rollover AWD:||/ 16.4%|
Second generation (MP/552; 2016–present)
|Assembly||MP/552: Toluca, Mexico (TCA)|
M1/551: Goiana, Pernambuco, Brazil
M4/553: Guangzhou, China (GAC)
M6/556: Pune, Maharashtra, India
|Body and chassis|
|Platform||FCA Small Wide LWB 4x4|
|Engine||1.3 L GSE T4 I4 (turbo gasoline) (China)|
1.4 L FIRE MultiAir turbo I4 gasoline
1.6 L Multijet II I4 diesel
2.0 L Multijet II I4 diesel
2.0 L Tigershark I4 gasoline
2.4 L Tigershark I4 gasoline
2.4 L Tigershark MultiAir I4 gasoline
|Transmission||6-speed FPT C635 manual|
6-speed Aisin AW60T automatic
7-speed FPT C725 dual-clutch automatic
9-speed ZF 948TE automatic
|Wheelbase||2,640 mm (104 in)|
|Length||4,420 mm (174 in)|
|Width||1,820 mm (72 in)|
|Height||1,650 mm (65 in)|
The second-generation of Jeep Compass debuted on September 27, 2016 in Brazil and at the Los Angeles International Auto Show in November 2016, replacing the Jeep Patriot and first generation Compass.
Using a stretched version of the same platform as the Renegade, the Compass is available in four distinct trim levels: the base Sport, the mid-level Latitude, the luxurious Limited, and the off road-capable Trailhawk. All trim levels are available with either front-wheel drive or four-wheel drive, with the exception of the Trailhawk, which is only available in a 4WD configuration.
Available features include FCA's UConnect 4C 8.4 and 8.4N touch-screen infotainment systems, a Beats Premium Audio System with a 506-watt digital amplifier, eighteen-inch aluminum alloy wheels, Jeep's Command-View panoramic sunroof, LED front headlamps, Forward Collision Warning, a ParkView rear-view backup camera system, front and rear parking sensors, Blind Spot Information System (BLIS), and Jeep's Selec-Terrain full-time four-wheel-drive system (standard on the Trailhawk model).
The Jeep Compass was unveiled in India on 12 April 2017 and assembled in the FCA India Pune plant since 1 July 2017. Apart from manufacturing to the Indian market, Jeep also exports the made in India Compass to many right-hand drive markets such as the United Kingdom, Australia, Brunei, Japan and Thailand. The India-spec model is available with two engine options - a 1.4-litre, four-cylinder, turbocharged MultiAir petrol and a 2.0-litre, four-cylinder, turbocharged MultiJet II diesel engine. In 2017 Jeep sold about 10,000 Compasses in India from the day of release until the middle of December.
The Compass is assembled at plants in Mexico, Brazil, China and India. North American and European models are manufactured in Toluca, Mexico; moved from Belvidere, Illinois. In Brazil, the second-generation Jeep Compass start production the 26 September 2016 at FCA new Goiana, Pernambuco Assembly Plant. Production of the first-generation Compass and Patriot ended early 2017, with production of the second generation Compass beginning in spring of 2017 for North American models. Assembled at Fiat's facility in Ranjangaon, Maharashtra, it is Jeep's first model assembled in India.
|Euro NCAP test results|
|Jeep Compass (2017)|
|Small overlap front||Good|
|Moderate overlap front||Good|
|Roof strength (2016–present models)||Good|
|Head restraints & seats||Good|
|Calendar Year||United States||Canada||India||Other||Total||Mexico|
- "Jeep Compass concept vehicle". www.ultimatecarpage.com. Retrieved 25 March 2012.
- Kranz, Rick (13 June 2005). "Jeep will reportedly build two car-based vehicles". AutoWeek. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- Nagy, Chris (14 December 2010). "Jeep Resets Compass on New Course in 2011". Automoblog.net. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- Kirby (1 November 2011). "2011 Jeep Compass 70th Anniversary Edition". www.topspeed.com. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- McCraw, Jim (12 April 2006). "The First Front-Wheel-Drive Jeep". The New York Times. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "It's Official: Jeep Wrangler Pickup Is Coming in 2017". blog.caranddriver.com. Retrieved 13 January 2016.
- "Jeep confirms pickup; new SUV to be Patriot or Compass". Detroit News. Retrieved 13 January 2016.
- "2012 Jeep Compass". euroncap.com. Retrieved 25 October 2015.
- "Euro NCAP results for Jeep Compass" (PDF). euroncap.com. 2012.
- "2013 Jeep Compass SUV 4WD". Safercar.gov. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "All new Jeep Compass makes worldwide debut in Brazil". Jeep Press Europe. 27 September 2016. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "Jeep Compass SUV to be launched in June in India". Ibtimes.co.in. 18 January 2017. Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- "Jeep Compass: a new direction for the SUV segment". FCA Press. 26 September 2016. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "Jeep Compass (2017) - pictures, information & specs". Netcarshow.com. Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- "2017 Jeep Compass". Autoblog.
- 2016 LA Auto Show: 2017 Jeep Compass Promises Improved Ride and Performance. trucks.com.
- First indian Jeep Compass in production
- "Jeep Compass India specifications, features, expected price and launch date details". Autosite India. 12 April 2017. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- by സ്വന്തം ലേഖകൻ. "Jeep Compass India". Manoramaonline.com. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
- FCA to build Jeep Compass in four plants globally. Detroit Free Press.
- "Jeep Compass India debut on April 12". Autocar India. Retrieved 9 April 2017.
- "'Made-in-India' Jeep Compass to debut on April 12, video teaser released". Hindustan Times. 8 April 2017. Retrieved 9 April 2017.
- "Jeep Compass" (PDF). euroncap.com. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- "Vehicle details". Iihs.org. Retrieved 17 October 2017.
- "Total Chrysler LLC December 2007 Sales Up 1 Percent on the Strength of Retail". CheersandGears.com. 15 March 2010. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "December 2008 Sales: Chrysler LLC". CheersandGears.com. 5 January 2009. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "Chrysler Group LLC December 2009 Sales". CheersandGears.com. 5 January 2010. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "Chrysler Group LLC December 2010 Sales". CheersandGears.com. 3 January 2011. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "Chrysler Group LLC December 2011". Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "Chrysler Group LLC Reports December 2012 U.S. Sales Increased 10 Percent" (Press release). Chrysler Group LLC. 3 January 2013. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "Jeep Brand Records New All-time Global Sales Record in 2013" (Press release). Chrysler Group. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "Jeep® Brand Records Fourth Consecutive Global Sales Record" (Press release). Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. Retrieved 5 January 2016.
- "FCA USA (FCA US Reports 2016 December and Full-year U.S. Sales)". Fcanorthamerica.com. 4 January 2017. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
- "FCA Canada (Sales Canada 2016)". Fcanorthamerica.com. 4 January 2017. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
- "Jeep Compass Sales Figures -". 2 January 2011. Retrieved 16 July 2018.
- "FCA USA (FCA US Reports April 2017 Sales)". Fcanorthamerica.com. 2 May 2017. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
- FCA México (FCA-México-reporta-en-diciembre-ventas-de-9,588-unidades)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jeep Compass.|
|CJ-7||Wrangler (YJ)||Wrangler (TJ)||Wrangler (JK)||Wrangler (JL)|
|Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)||Wrangler Unlimited (JKU)||Wrangler Unlimited (JLU)|
|Subcompact crossover||Renegade (BU)|
|Compact crossover||Compass (MK49)||Compass (MP)|
|Compact SUV||Cherokee/Wagoneer (XJ)||Liberty/Cherokee (KJ)||Liberty/Cherokee (KK)|
|Mid-size crossover||Grand Commander|
|Mid-size SUV||Grand Cherokee/Grand Wagoneer (ZJ)||Grand Cherokee (WJ)||Grand Cherokee (WK)||Grand Cherokee (WK2)|
|Full-size SUV||Cherokee (SJ)|
|Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer (SJ)|
|Compact pickup||CJ-8 (Scrambler)||Comanche (MJ)|
|Midsize pickup||CJ-10||Gladiator (JT)|
|Notes||Available only in China|