Sir Jeremy Hugh Stuart-Smith (born 18 January 1955) is an English judge.
Origins and education
He is the son of Sir Murray Stuart-Smith (a former Lord Justice of Appeal) and Joan, the daughter of Major Thomas Motion. He was educated at Radley College and at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge.
Stuart-Smith was called to the Bar in 1978 and was appointed Queen's Counsel. He was appointed a High Court judge with effect from 2 October 2012, being assigned by the Lord Chief Justice to the Queen’s Bench Division. He was consequentially knighted in the 2013 Special Honours.
He is the co-author, with Professor Robert Merkin, of a textbook on the law of motor insurance.
Stuart-Smith married on 25 September 1982 Hon. Arabella Montgomery, the daughter of David Montgomery, 2nd Viscount Montgomery of Alamein. They had five children:
- Emma Stuart-Smith (born 6 October 1984)
- Laura Stuart-Smith (1986–1987)
- Edward Murray Stuart-Smith (born 6 May 1988)
- Samuel Nicholas Stuart-Smith (born 6 December 1990)
- Luke David Stuart-Smith (born 19 January 1993)
- "Jeremy Hugh Stuart-Smith QC". Corpus Christi College. Archived from the original on 5 October 2012. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- "Appointment of a High Court Judge – Stuart-Smith" (Press release). Ministry of Justice. 5 September 2012. Archived from the original on 21 February 2014. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- "No. 60439". The London Gazette. 5 March 2013. p. 4263.
- Merkin and Stuart-Smith, The Law of Motor Insurance (Sweet & Maxwell Ltd, 2004).
- "Montgomery of Alamein", Burke’s Peerage.
- "Tulkinghorn: Horns of Plenty". The Lawyer. 9 November 2009. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
|This United Kingdom law-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|