Veer Surendra Sai Airport
|Owner||Airports Authority of India|
|Serves||Jharsuguda, Sundargarh, Sambalpur, Rourkela|
|Opened||22 September 2018|
|Elevation AMSL||757 ft / 231 m|
Jharsuguda Airport (IATA: JRG, ICAO: VEJH) also known as Veer Surendra Sai Airport  is located 5 kilometers north-east of Jharsuguda.  The airport is located in Durlaga, approximately 8.5 km from the Jharsuguda Junction railway station. The airport is spread over 967.50 acres.It is named after Indian freedom fighter Veer Surendra Sai and is currently managed by Airports Authority of India.The Upgraded Airport gets its 4-C Category licence to handle bigger plane like A320/A321 and 737's in May 2018 by Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) .Flights were first started by SpiceJet on 31 March 2019, making Jharsuguda Airport the second operational airport in Odisha.
The airfield was used during World War II by the RAF and other Allied Forces to counter Indian Freedom Fighters led by Subhas Chandra Bose.After India gained Independence from Allied Forces, the airfield was abandoned. In 2008, AAI carried out a feasibility study to revive Jharsuguda airport, which, by then was occasionally used by General Aviation aircraft and was unfit for commercial operations.The State Government sanctioned Rs. 50 crore in July 2013 to kick-start the Rs 175-crore airport development project which was to be jointly executed by the Airports Authority of India(AAI) and the State Government. .On 30 July 2014, Odisha government signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Airport Authority of India for development of the state's second airport at Jharsuguda. The Ministry of environment and forest (MoEF) gave its nod for the expansion of the airport to handle Airbus A320 aircraft in February 2015.In May 2018, The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) granted 4-C licence to Jharsuguda airport to make it the second operational airport in Odisha after the Biju Patnaik International Airport in Bhubaneswar.
Veer Surendra Sai Airport has a single runway—Runway 06/24—measuring 2391 m (7844 ft) in length and 45 m in width.The airfield is equipped with night landing facilities and navigational aids such as DVOR, DME, NDB, and PAPI.The airport has MSSR Radar of range 250 Nautical mile from Jharsuguda.
The terminal building spreading over 3896 sqm and has been constructed at a cost of Rs 38 crore. The airport has capacity to handle 300 passengers at a time.The terminal has passenger friendly amenities like public address system, check-in counters, fire alarm, HVAC (Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning), firefighting, CCTV, baggage scanners and car parking.
Airlines and destinations
|Alliance Air||Bhubaneswar, Raipur, Ranchi|||
|SpiceJet||Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata|||
- "Cabinet clears renaming Jharsuguda aerodrome as Veer Surendra Sai airport". Economic Times. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- "Jharsuguda Airport gets 4C License to operate Bigger Aircrafts [sic]". Odisha News Insight. 1 August 2018. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- "Airport Categorisation". www.airfieldcharts.com. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- "SpiceJet started flights to Jharsuguda from Delhi, Hyderabad and Kolkata On March 31,2019". Times of India. 27 February 2019. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- "Veer Surendra Sai Airport in Jharsuguda - A Brief History -". Odisha News Insight. 22 September 2018. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "Pre feasibility report". Airports Authority of India. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "Government sanctions Rs 50 crore for Jharsuguda". The Times of India. 22 July 2013. Retrieved 27 July 2013.
- "Odisha signs MoU with AAI for second airport at Jharsuguda". The Economic Times. 30 July 2014. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "Jharsuguda airport receives expert panel nod". Orissa Post. 17 February 2015. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "J'suguda Airport fit for 320 Airbus flight". The Pioneer. 2 August 2018. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- Daily Pioneer. 23 June 2018 https://www.dailypioneer.com/2018/state-editions/jsuguda-airport-to-have-night-landing-facility.html. Missing or empty
- Bureau, Odisha Sun Times. "ILS to ease flight operations in bad weather at Odisha's Jharsuguda Airport | OdishaSunTimes.com". Retrieved 23 June 2019.
- "Alliance Air now connects 'Jharsuguda' to Singapore,Bankok,Bhubaneshwar,Raipur,Ranchi". Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- "SpiceJet To Begin Flight Services From Jharsuguda Airport From March 31". Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- Airport information for VEJH at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- Recent developments on Jharsuguda Airport
- AAI plans 2nd airport in state
- Airport plan
- [› ...PDF sd/- AERODROME DATA JHARSUGUDA AIRPORT (VEJH) - AIM India - aai.aero]
|This article about an airport in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|