|Pitcher / Manager|
|Born: November 30, 1954|
|July 9, 1976, for the Montreal Expos|
|Last MLB appearance|
|April 12, 1980, for the Baltimore Orioles|
|Earned run average||3.89|
Kerrigan attended Temple University where he played in the 1972 College World Series. He was selected in the first round of the 1974 amateur draft by the Montreal Expos. His major league debut was on July 9, 1976. He was traded with Gary Roenicke and Don Stanhouse to the Baltimore Orioles for Rudy May, Randy Miller and Bryn Smith following the 1977 season, and played with the Orioles until 1980.
His coaching career began in 1983 when he was named the bullpen coach for the Expos. From 1987 to 1991, he was the pitching coach for three different Montreal farm teams, and in 1992, became the pitching coach of the Expos. From 1997 to 2001 he filled the same role for the Red Sox under manager Jimy Williams, working with 1999 and 2000 Cy Young Award winner Pedro Martínez. In August 2001, after Williams was fired, Kerrigan was named the manager and signed a multi-year contract for the position with then-GM Dan Duquette. However, he led the team to a 17–26 record and, with new ownership taking over in the offseason, was replaced by Grady Little during spring training in 2002.
Kerrigan later served as pitching coach for the Philadelphia Phillies and was hired as the bullpen coach for the New York Yankees in November 2005. In October 2008, he became the pitching coach for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Kerrigan was relieved of his duty as pitching coach for the Pittsburgh Pirates on August 8, 2010.
|Team||Year||Regular Season||Post Season|
|Won||Lost||Win %||Finish||Won||Lost||Win %||Result|
|BOS||2001||17||26||.395||2nd in AL East||–||–||–||–|
- "Former Temple Standout Joe Kerrigan Named Pittsburgh Pirates Pitching Coach". Temple University Athletics. October 21, 2008. Retrieved July 3, 2019.
- Langosch, Jenifer (October 20, 2008). "Kerrigan hired as pitching coach". PittsburghPirates.com. Retrieved October 20, 2008.
- "Kerrigan hired as Pirates pitching coach". Yahoo! Sports. Associated Press. October 20, 2008. Retrieved October 20, 2008.
- Associated Press, "Red Sox Replace Williams with Kerrigan", August 17, 2001
- Baseball Library: Joe Kerrigan
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Baseball-Reference (Minors), or Retrosheet
| Montreal Expos bullpen coach
| Montreal Expos pitching coach
| Boston Red Sox pitching coach
1997 – August 16, 2001
| Pittsburgh Pirates pitching coach
2009 – August 8, 2010